Lighting question for knucklehead

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
Okay. I'm ready to purchase T5's and have seen on other postings that you sell them. I have a 55 gal and currently have FOWLR but want to eventually add zoanthids and maybe a clam. I have looked online and found some 4 and 6 bulb lights in the $300-$350 range. Do you have a recommendation for me?

Those are exactly the units I have been looking at! I do have some questions though and also want to know what your prices are.

Here is what I found for the Nova : Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO Reviews)

The reviews indicate that the fan is loud. What is your experience with this issue?

The AquaticLife: AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine

I like that this light has the ability to add on. I would purchase two units (4 bulbs total) and add to this later if/when needed.

They are close in price (assuming 6 bulbs each unit). What are your prices on these units? Do you have a preference or would you recommend something completely different? I appreciate your assistance. I know absolutely nothing about this subject other than what I've read on the LR forum.

nova extremes i would say would be the best light out of the ones you linked here. the fan noise. im sure that customer maybe had a bad fan or the fan blades were hitting a wire making noise? not sure.

Chiqui, I just bought the Nova Extreme Pros last week. Before that, I had regular Nova Extremes. The fans, well, they sound like fans! They aren't any noisier than other fans that I've heard -- and it's just background noise. Their noise blends in with the rest of the tank. I definitely wouldn't call the fans "loud".

Thanks for the info Biff. Sounds like the nova fans aren't that bad but I am leaning towards the AquaticLife simply because you can add on more later.

Knucklehead: I looked at your website but only see one fixture. Do you carry others? Prices?

i will sell either one to you. and give you pricing on both. but my recomdation is the extreme pro 6 lamp. you will be a lot happier with it. im not tryin to get you to spend more money with me. and to be really honest. i dont make hardly anything on light fixtures..

I would bite the bullet and get the bigger lighting system. I am starting a 45 reef and i was thinking of doing four t5's but then was like just spend the extra few bucks and get the larger 6 t5's. Why spend more later when you can do it right the fisrt time around. I am thinking of getting the 6x39watt Nova extreme pro system for my 45.

Last edited:
405.00 for the nova pro with free shipping
130.00 for the aquatic life link fixture plus shipping i would need find out how much shipping would cost.

just personal preference. light looks better. dont have to add on to it. and yes i will give you prices on both give me a min.
+1 to knucklehead
Buy the Nova Pro. It gives you more than enough light for what you have, and want to keep. Buying a less expensive fixture now only guarantees you will spend more later to get what this fixure does. At 140.00 a piece, you would be spending more on 3 fixtures to achieve the amount of light put out by the one Nova. :mrgreen:

Actually, the cost is $120 per fixture so three of them would still be less expensive than the nova and I like that I can buy 2 now and 1 later. My tank is not mature enough for the things that require more light so it works out to my advantage. Thanks Knucklhead for checking on this. I really appreciate your time. I'm going to give myself the weekend to decide but marineandreef.com is less expensive on the unit that I like and there is no shipping. If I decide to go with the nova, I will contact you Monday.

Back