lighting question?

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Ok we are trying to figure out how far away from the top of the tank the lighting should be. The tank will be 96Lx22wx18h.the lighting will be the
HL 48" 8 Lamp T5 Fixture. we are going to build the stand and the top of the stand but not sure how far to put the lights
Thanks
Rose

Mine sit about 4" above. Heat isn't a consideration with T5's but having them up further or down closer to the water both have their disadvantages with a big fixture like yours. I like mine up a bit higher so i can access my tank w/o having to move my lights.

ok another question The lights do not have a shield on them so how bad is that? Should I get something to protect the lights from the water? If so what would be the best way to go about doing so.
I also want to thank you all for all the help,if it wasn't for all of you I would be lost.

ok another question The lights do not have a shield on them so how bad is that? Should I get something to protect the lights from the water? If so what would be the best way to go about doing so.
I also want to thank you all for all the help,if it wasn't for all of you I would be lost.

At one time or another,salt creep and splashing will get on the bulbs/reflectors.It will be a pain to clean and some that aren't aluminum will rust so I recommend a shield.Plexiglass/acrylic shields can be bought at Lowe's and HD.Some will even cut it for you and get the thin kind,btw.

Back