Lighting Question

prthd

Reefing newb
i have had my tank just over 3 weeks, my question is, for now id like to just have live rock on one side of the tank with coral. can i buy just a smaller t5 light for once side of the tank. i have a 75 gallon. id like to get one side started and then see what i like and down the road say in 3-4 months then get rock and coral for the other side. i currently have 3 damsels, what type of coral will work well with them,

thanks

phins to the left

dave

Hehehe...have you SEEN my tank? It's a 125, and I have a 2-bulb T5 light taht's 30" (my tank is 72" long)...it's only the middle section that's lit ;) You should be fine. Pick some moderate-light loving corals. I have mushrooms right now, and they're as high as possible to make sure they get enough light.

It's other fish you gotta worry about with certian damsels. They won't hurt your corals. If you go with the smaller light unless you get it real cheap then your gonna be spending even more money when you upgrade the lights. It will work of course but sometimes it's better to fork out the dough for the bigger lights.

In reality it can be done but it seems like an incredible waste of money.You explained it but I'm still asking myself,why?

....then you post a light that runs the full length of a 75 which is confusing me even more.Got a link to the lights?

You won't be able to keep corals with a single T5 bulb... You'd need at least 6 bulbs. Why would you spend $130 on a single bulb fixture? Why not just buy a whole set that will allow you to keep corals? The Current Nova Extreme Pro will allow you to keep anything you want, and it costs less than $400.

Current USA 48" Nova EXT Pro T5HO 6 x 54

+1 All the above.
You might as well go ahead and spring for the Nova Pros.There's no use in spending that much money on something your just gonna replace any how.

BTW
I'm gonna move thins to the New to Reefs forums.

Seriously, don't waste your money on a single T5 bulb. For the same amount of money, Fish Need It has MH pendants on sale. $140 for a 150 watt, $170 for a 250 watt. Buy two of either of those instead. You could keep any corals you wanted under those.

Metal Halide

If you don't want stuff hanging off your ceiling, then buy the Nova Pros. Both of the lights I suggested were within the budget that you gave me to work with -- one was $260 and the other was $325, and both will allow you to keep anything you want in a 75. One hangs from the ceiling, one doesn't. Both look nice, and both are excellent lights.

Last edited:
A very cheap way to go is aquatraders.com.. I would know because i just got a light from them. Just set it up on my tank and it looks pretty good. I got the 4 T5 light with the 4 LEDs for $95 plus shipping. Looks really good for $95 to :mrgreen:

I will start a new thread tomorrow for my tank :^:

Back