lighting question

marcah

Reef enthusiast
ok so here is my problem
my 45 gal cube which was seahorse now just an empty running tank, sold the seahorses needed a change, well anyway why I was thinking what I wanted to do with it a friend called needed to unload a carpet nem that his wife came home with...
my question is after calling a few stores they all told me I didnt need more then 70 to 80 watt t-5's in it... they all were happy to sell me more but they all said it wasnt needed.. sound correct? I was thinking more like m.h lighting would be needed..

Mmmm, all depends, how many bulbs, does it have reflectors?

the general rule with t5's without reflects is at least 4 watts per gallon, with, its a little bit less. Yoru lights are 1.7, so that feels a bit low. That would just be enough, but scraping into the lowest bracket.

That doesn't seem like enough lighting with the T-5 fixture...I'd stick with the Mh fixture, or look into a Led fixture.

see I was thinking the same thing.. what got me thinking was i called 5 stores and they all said the same, so I immediately got to thinking...tank is 18 x20 x 27 deep...
was strange I got the exact same answer from all the stores... would save me alot of money... the ones they reccomended are all 4 bulb fixtures..

forgot they did ask what else would be in ther with it.. told them all the same thing..just anemone shrimp.. wont risk anything else in there...

wish I could answer that .. was given to me and his wife couldnt remember the name.. tried looking it up online couldnt find a good match..

Back