Lighting vs. live rock

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by Reefrookie, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Reefrookie

    Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Messages:
    949
    Likes Received:
    182
    Location:
    Reading, Pa USA
    I recently shortened the time cycle on my tank to 6 hrs. compared to 10 hrs. I also rearranged some rock work and now it seems I am getting more die off. Is the die off from the shortened light cycle or because I turned a few and a new surface of the rock is facing the lighting? Also, will I have another cycle now? All my parameters are in line, but the REALLY weird thing is......since I did this, I have a somewhat strong ammonia smell in the room :frustrat:
     
    Reefrookie, Apr 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Reefrookie

    FNG44601

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Alliance,OH
    Gotta ask how long has your tank been set up? Are you still cycling? Just an off top guess without knowing.... but I'd guess that your live rock is curing!
    -- any livestock in the tank?
     
    FNG44601, Apr 30, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Reefrookie

    Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Messages:
    949
    Likes Received:
    182
    Location:
    Reading, Pa USA
    Tank is set up for about two month. I had a complete cycle a month ago. Just have some snails and one clown for livestock
     
    Reefrookie, Apr 30, 2008
    #3
  4. Reefrookie

    cthegame

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Messages:
    8,704
    Likes Received:
    641
    Location:
    California
    Yes i think the die if because you turned a few and a new surface of the rock is facing the lighting...but im not 100%.

    You might get a mini cycle but i dont think it will be anything to be too concerned about.
     
    cthegame, Apr 30, 2008
    #4
  5. Reefrookie

    fatman

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1,777
    Likes Received:
    243
    Location:
    Fairbanks, Alaska USA (The Last Frontier)
    The moving the rock is the larger cause. Live rock requires little light as nearly all live rock available for sale is taken from deep waters. That is because people in general have fairly low light intensities and the suppliers are supplying what the majority of people can have coraline success with. Every new contact surface you provided is now having a die off of coraline, plus some death of beneficial bacteria because lessened flow means lessen dissolved oxygen getting to the bacteria that require oxygen. However it will take little time for the bacteria still living to multiply and make up the differences for the losses, so any spiking of ammonia, and nitrite should be small and very short term. It will take longer for the new surfaces exposed to the light to cover with coraline. Sometimes you actually can lose coraline when exposing it to additional light as it liked dimmer lighting, IE. deep water live rock which came from deeper waters grows best in dimmer light areas. That is why lots of times the coraline is heavier under ledges and closer to the bottom of the tank than the top. Very, very, little shallow water live rock makes it to the markets anymore.
     
    fatman, Apr 30, 2008
    #5
  6. Reefrookie

    Bifferwine I am a girl

    Joined:
    May 13, 2006
    Messages:
    46,915
    Likes Received:
    5,888
    Location:
    Lynnwood, WA and missing Tucson, AZ
    I would siphon or suck off with a turkey baster as much of the dying off algae as you can. Any algae that dies in your tank will re-release nutrients back into the water. Turning rocks around is a good way to quickly kill off nuisance algae, but it's important to remove as much of the dead and dying stuff as possible by hand.
     
    Bifferwine, Apr 30, 2008
    #6
  7. Reefrookie

    Marke86 Coral Junkie

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Florida
    Did you test your water right after moving your rocks around this will stir up old dead stuff and somtimes raise nitrites.
     
    Marke86, Apr 30, 2008
    #7
  8. Reefrookie

    Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Messages:
    949
    Likes Received:
    182
    Location:
    Reading, Pa USA
    Yes, I am testing every other day since I rearranged the rocks, I just keep getting more die off. And the smell is getting worse. My wife is ready to kill me!
     
    Reefrookie, May 1, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.