lighting

lumpy

Reefing newb
I'm starting my first saltwater aquarium. 75 gallon 48 lenght x 18 width by 21 hight. I'm looking at using t5 HO lighting. My local shop said 4 to 6 bulbs (2-3 white, 2-3 blue) would be best for my tank. I want to make sure I get this right given price points and the difficulites of balancing lighting needed for corals vs algee creation. I'd like to keep my options open as afar as corals to keep so I'm guessing higher is better. Can you guys give me some adivce on how much light I would need for this size aquarium as a bigginer in salt water?

Welcome to the site! Your LFS is right on. I think 4 bulbs would be too little, though. 6 bulbs would be perfect. It also depends on of the fixture has individual reflectors. Individual reflectors direct more light back into the tank, and a good 6 bulb fixture that has individual reflectors is the Current Nova Extreme Pro. Using a 6 bulb T5 fixture will allow you to keep anything you want, light-wise -- corals, anemones (eventually) and clams.

Thanks Bitterwine. I'll check into the Nova Extreame pro. Out of curiosity why the "eventually" on the Anemone?

Because Anemones need very stable water conditions, something not usually found in new tanks. You would want to have the tank set up for about a year before considering adding a nem.

Thanks Bitterwine. I'll check into the Nova Extreame pro. Out of curiosity why the "eventually" on the Anemone?

They are very difficult animals to keep -- more difficult than most corals. Not recommended for new tanks. The good news is there are plenty of awesome things you can keep in the meantime.

Back