Lighting

Cody010493

Reefing newb
Just curious what would my lighing be considered? it a 33 gal tank with 6bulb t5 fixture.
bulbs type in order from front to back.

Hamilton true blue- like a purple
Hamilton 50/50
Hamilton 50/50
Hamilton Sun- 10K
Hamiton Sun 10K
And a actinic bulb

how ever i do have some other bulbs i could put in. I was just wondering if this lighting is good enough or should i put in the 6,700 k bulb ? i want maximum growth and i do have 2 other 10k bulbs as well. and is my lighting considered high, medium, or what ? Thanks

I don't like 50/50 bulbs, so I would put the 10Ks in their place. I can't guarantee growth, you'd have to experiment with different bulb brands and spectrums. Don't use the 6700K, though. Those tend to be good at growing algae.

From what I remember of your tank, you don't have a lot of sps. You may want to list out your corals because the advice will differ.

I'm not that familiar with Hamilton T5's so I looked up their website

T5 Bulbs Aquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

I think of lighting requirements in terms of intensity and spectrum coverage. A 6xT5 is plenty intensity for 33g.

I don't get too caught up in the 10K/15K ratings but look at the spectrum of the light to see what the spread and comparative intensities are. I actually quite like your 50/50 - it has a very good spectrum spread in the 420-450 range and then a bit of a spike in the 550 and some output in the yellow/reds (800+). Not sure what your 10Ks are but if they are the daylight ones on the site - they have a odd focus in the 500+ range - don't like them.

I wouldn't recommend putting on the 6700 (again it depends on the type of corals) but I think for growth I would leave things they way you have it. Again you have to tell us what type of corals you have.

Back