Lights and Live rock

Elmgren

Reefing newb
Hey all. Just got my new tank. a biocube 29 gallon tank. The top of the tank has four flourescent bulbs and 3 moonlights. I went to the marine store today and will be purchasing some live rock and sand. The next several months I will be building up my tank up. should I get a good light for the tank that will help my live rock flourish and what kind? Will I need a moon light to take place of the top I will be replacing if I go with a different light. I know the store sells a top light that they (marine store) had on the exact same biocube tank.

Edit: after reading forums I came acorss this by sen5241b

Get rid of bioballs. Put 100 watt heater in chamber 1.
FLOW: Scrape black paint off outside of chamber 2 only using a , fill chamber 2 with cheato and put 2 strong lights on cheato --like 40 watts CP 4000K. Replace stock pump with a Rio 6hf. Get rid of 90 degree elbow in chamber 3 and replace it with curved tube. Put a loc-line on the pump output and split the flow into two spouts. Drill a small hole in one of the loc-line sections to create surface agitation. Cut the little plastic wall wide between chamber 1 and 2. Leave the chamber 2 plastic grate in place to reduce water flow sound. Put a powerhead rated for 10 to 20g in the tank to improve flow. All this will greatly improve flow.
LIGHT: The hood is rather tight and will cause heat problems. You may wish to ditch the hood and get
1) a Sunpod 150 watt
2) Current USA 150W 14000K HQI Pendant w/ Hanging Arm & Electronic Ballast
3) 150 watt VIPER
4) have nanotuners.com mod your existing hood to 150 watt T5s or to MH but this last option is likely to cause heat issues that require an expensive chiller.

I'll be printing this out and taking it to the store in the afternoon to have them help me decipher what exactly this is saying

anyone that has the same question should go to this post. it is very informative https://www.livingreefs.com/getting-29g-biocube-free-t27067.html

Last edited:
You don't need any special lights for the live rock.Get lights that are strong enough for the types of corals you want to keep later when your system matures.

What kind of fluorescents are they and do you know the watts?T5,PC etc...,without knowing that info how would you know if what you add is an upgrade.It's possible that it might even be good enough for corals.

First off.Welcome to the site and the hobby.
What Sens post is saying,is how to modify the bio-cube to be better reef tanks.

So we are looking at almost 3 watts per gallon(damn,I hate using that term).In all my years of using PC lighting during the 90's,that will be enough light for soft and LPS corals.No SPS corals,no anemones and probably not enough for most clams except derasa clams.If that sounds good to you then stick with what you have.If not,upgrade your lighting.

Back