Lights

Doyle73

Reefing newb
I have a questions about t5 lights. Is that my best bet for my 55 gal tank. I was wondering if there was anything better to get or what I should do? What about the watts on the bulbs. Just stated my reef, looking to get the fixture this weekend. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

Last edited:
T5s are your best bet for a 55 gallon tank. The standard 55 gallon tank is 48 inches long, so you'll need to get a 48 inch fixture. All 48 inch T5 bulbs come with the same wattage (54 watts). There are fixture out there with 4, 6 and 8 bulbs, some with individual reflectors. Having individual reflectors supposedly doubles the amount of light that reaches your tank, so a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors is better than an 8 bulb fixture without.

You can go with MH or T5 for that size tank.However,a good T5 fixture would be my choice for that size system.

Besides that,Biff has you covered.If you want some links to fixtures,give a budget amount and what you are wanting to keep coral wise.

I had that same 4-bulb fixture over my 55 gallon tank a couple years ago. It worked great. Of course, everyone will say the 8 bulb one is better, or the Novas with individual reflectors are better, but if you are on a budget, the 4 bulb fixture will still allow you to keep pretty much anything you want.

Daugherty,that is kinda over Doyle budget,doncha think?

The Nova Extreme will work for most corals,I'm not convinced it will be enough for all corals,anemones and clams.Plenty for soft and LPS corals for sure.

thanks for all the help ordered the light fixture. And those peppermint shirimp my not have been a good idea on my part. I have that trigger but I mad sure to feed him a lot before I put them in there an as soon as i put them on the highest rock on went to get to the bottom and was eaten by the trigger. And the other two are taking refuge under some rocks should I take them out. Just gave my trigger an expensive meal.:frustrat:
And what was the name of those things we were trying to kill.

I didnt know you had a trigger.Hopefully the other 2 shrimp will stay back.
And thats aiptasia were trying to kill.Before you spend money on that aiptasia control,try using a a hyperdermic needle and shooting them up with liquid calcium or a touch of lemon juice.I perfer the calcium because it wont hurt anything in the tank.

Yeah stupid of me. The are staying back hiding under rocks, I think they are sacred to come out they have been there for a couple hours. Do you think once they are in there for a while and on the ground moving around they will be left alone?

Its a niger trigger. It ate the first one like a snack. I kept an eye on the other two they were fine when I went to bed, cant find them this morning. I have three hermet crabs to.

Happy to say for now they are still alive. Made a home under some of my rock which I am happy to see. But have to knock on a lot of wood. Thanks again for everyones help. enjoy this forum:D

Back