Lil green blobs in a new, not yet cycled tank

project5k

Reef enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this, its these little green blobs of goo lookn stuff, hadnt noticed them till just a few min ago... they're a bright green, and are smaller than a dime, but bigger than a pencil eraser...

they are all over the sand bed, spread out pretty evenly... the 2 or 3 that are closest to the glass are, ofcourse the easiest to see and get pics of...

Attachments

• 3-2-10 010  s.jpg
    3-2-10 010 s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 3-2-10 011  s.jpg
    3-2-10 011 s.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 3-2-10 019  s.jpg
    3-2-10 019 s.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 425
no movement, and for lights, all there are are the "work lights" that i put up, on the ceeling, above the tank and fuge, they are t8's 4 foot long, one is a 3000k bulb, and the other is 6100k, i believe 32w each... theres no way thats enough energy to grow much of anything...

and the lights are really only on when i'm working on the tank... rest of the time i turn em off, just no point in running them for no reason...

i'm only gonna use thoes lights when i'm working on the tank, they are not intended to be the tank lights, just work lights, the lights that are over my 75 will get moved over to the 210 when i move the fish and whatnot...

Yep! I think it's a combination of no movement and wrong lighting. Some of the non aquarium lights put out spectrum that is better suited to growing the things we don't want and I think you know that no movement is bad news. I'd suggest you get some movement in there and try not to run those lights except when it's necessary and hopefully this little problem wont become a big problem. :)

well, theres over 1200GPH through the main return pump, plus another probably 500GPH through the SCWD, so there is some movement, not enough, but some....

and the lights, wow, i cant imagine that they are putting enough energy into the water to matter, but i'll keep 'em off as much as possible...

another thing that i'm wondering about, considering that the tank isnt yet cycled, i'm surprised that theres anything at all growing in there... seems to me that there would be a lack of food... but thats just a SWAG

Hmmm! Well LR is the filter in our tanks. Without cycled LR, you have no filtration so it doesn't surprise me that you have funk creeping up in your tank. Maybe the better answer is to get your LR in there (it looks like there is already some in it) and get it cycled.

HA! When I first saw this thread I thought it said "little green boobs" I think Justin has you covered on the light though, the non-aquatic lights do promote more plant growth do to their light spectrum.

haa, well, alrighty then, i did have the lights on for most of the last couple days, i'll turn em off and wait a couple days and see, they are still there this morning tho, i dont see much change from the last time i looked at them...

lil green boobs, now thats funny, martian mamarys... hmmm

yea, the live rock thats in there came from an algae over-run basically almost dead tank... so the rock WAS live when i put it in there, but due to the cycling process, i'm expecting it to go almost dead before it starts comming back... not to mention that the rock was so covered with algae when i first got it, that theres no way it was really functioning as a filter... scrubbing most of the algae off with a brush before putting it in the tank removed a lot, but theres still some in there, probably what i'm seeing is sometihng from the rock starting to grow in this new environment...

Back