lion fish question

johno1973

Reefing newb
When Live Aquaria says that a fish's reef compatability is "with caution", namely a lion fish, what do they mean specifically?

One would think that would happen if they knew anything about lionfish (or watched Deuce Bigalow). Do they harm corals or do corals harm them?

We can go into the archives and pull out the 12,000 posts from people who are shocked by this revelation.:D

Hahahaha, pretty much.

For the purposes of online stores, "Reef Safe" means that this animal will normally not eat your corals, non-coral inverts, or other fish. Of course, that's not the case all of the time, but in general, it's true. I do think it would be clearer if they would specify why they aren't reef safe (usually they do in the description, but having it in the summary box would help to.) Like, "Reef safe with caution - may eat other fish."

For lion fish, you cannot call them "Reef Safe" because they will tend to eat other things in your tank. Lions will get along fine with corals, and vice versa.

I agree, the reef safe section does need to be clearer. I did read the description and knew that they ate other fish. LA even recommends purchasing a supply of feeder shrimp when you purchace these fish, at least during acclimation. I wasn't sure if that was all or if there were other issues to consider.
Dennis, I am seriously considering getting one, If you wish I could accidentally drop your clown in at feeding time. haha Not really, I think tomato clowns are too pretty to sacrifice. Now my blue damsel that won't let anything else in the tank with it will just have to take his chances.

AHHaha
I had a yellow tail that killed everything I tryed to add to my tank.I finally got tired of that crap and took it to the store.We all thought he'd get ate when we put him in a tank with a huge blue spot grouper,huma huma trigger,and a sulfer head eel.
The next morning the trigger was dead,the eel was eel jerky on the floor and grouper was cowering in a corner.
They ended up GIVIN that damsel to some lady that only wanted one fish for her tank because they couldnt put ANYTHING in the tank with that damsel.:shock:

That's just amazing Yote. To think that my little 2 inch fish could do such a thing. Granted, he did kill his one other tank mate that I have had with him. But that was another blue damsel, and in my noob defense I thought that they might be able to get along alright since they were living in the same tank at the lfs for at least two months before I brought them home. I would hate to see a lionfish killed in my tank but, that would be a sight to see.

The first lesson I learned about salt water,is to expect the unexpected.:D
So far from helping at the LFS,I've seen triggers that think their dogs.Clowns that act like mako sharks.Mantis shrimp that are scared of their shadow.Horned Morays that had rather rub against you hand like a cat than eat.A dusky jawfish and a watchman goby pair up.
So theres nothing in this hobby that surprises me anymore.:D

Back