Lionfish

It would be okay in a reef tank as long as all the other fish you keep are bigger than it. Unfortunately, most reef fish are small. Most fish that are large enough to not get eaten by a lionfish are predators themselves, and could not be kept in a reef tank.

no no no no! it will eat everything it comes into contact with! if its smaller, its food! if its bigger, its a challenge the lion wont back down from! i have one in a FOWLR PREDATOR tank, i couldnt imagine seeing one in a reef!

You might consider the dwarf lionfish but the above rules still apply. Lionfish need a multi-source food diet.

I had a little tiny volitan, about 5" max, in a predator. I had a 5" christmas wrasse in my reef that was killing my clown, so I scooped him and put him in the predator as a temporary measure. I figured he'd be fine as he was agressive enough and the same size as the lion. It took about 30 seconds before the lion had half of the wrasse hanging out of his mouth. Of course he couldn't swallow it, so he spit it out. about five minutes later, he tried again. The second time ended up killing the wrasse. So my vote is no.

I have a 125 gallon (72x18x22ish) Oceanic

It is not drilled but I will get it drilled for overflows etc at my LFS

Can you do a FOWLR without a sump, or is it a better idea to sump it. I can easily sell my 2 eheim 2028 filters to pay for the sump, or make my own from a 55 gallon which will fit under my tank

I suppose I will start a thread under newbies:frustrat:

Back