Little red looking crab thing under the live rock!!

devon9832

Reefing newb
I just purchased some liverock from the LFS and when i got it home, and after a few days i noticed a crab looking creature under the rock. I was trying to do some research and it looks like a fiddler crab. Not sure if it is safe for my reef tank or not. I think he is the murderer of two of my hermit crabs. He seems to come out and then vanish when i come around.

He's the size of a large hermit crab and only have one big claw on his right side. he has some hairly looking things on his legs and body. It looks like he has already shed one exoskeleton. Its creeping me out because i never see him, but i don't kno if its a hazard or not. Does anyone know what he might be?

Hairy crabs generally mean bad news. If you can figure out which rock he lives in, try to isolate that rock and get a pic of him, or at least a better view.

This is as close as i could get to the crab.
crab-1.jpg

this is a frontal shot.
crab1.jpg

and this is a top shot if it helps at all.
crab2.jpg

damn. i saw that cloud too. i thought i should keep an eye on it.

but on a serious note, the he/she is the size of large hermit crab but he is light reddish in color and only has one big claw. But i have found out that hairy crabs are bad news, so i guess i need to go ahead and try to get him out. i thought he would be a helpful part of my tank... i guess not...

yea, everytime i pull my camera out and get close to the tank, he haul's ass back into my LR. I'm nervous to really mess with it.

It really looks like a red emerald crab (they come in all colors, not just green). Google emerald crab and see if that's what it looks like.

I was also thinking an emarald crab. The reason why it might have one big claw is because it might have lost the other one and it is growing back.

If its hairy or not doesnt really matter. Some people say it does, but I really dont think so.

The main thing to look at is the crabs claws. If they look like they are more for scraping or if they are sharp.

Back