Little white bugs on torch coral

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I noticed tiny white bugs crawling on my torch coral polyps yesterday. I see a few on a frogspawn that is about 6 inches away also, but I don't see them anywhere else. I have no idea what they are. I remember Beeguiles had something similar several months ago but I couldn't find the thread. Anybody know what these critters are or where they might have come from? I added a few frags this weekend but dipped them first and didn't see anything on them. But before that it had been probably 2-3 months since I last added anything, maybe even longer. I did do a water change with LFS water this weekend, could they have come in on that? My torch doesn't seem particularly bothered by them, though it is a little more retracted than normal (some polyps are only about half the length of others), I'm just worried they will spread to other corals. I have 3 fairy wrasses in the tank who don't seem a bit interested in them.

I remember reading something like this on another site. The bugs resembled red bugs but were white. Interceptor was used to rid them. From what I understood then you have to be very specific with a vet about what you are going to use it for.

A pic if possible would help in the identification.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I wish I could get a pic, but they are too tiny to capture w/o a macro lens (Dennis, want to take a trip to Boston w/ your camera?!)

Do you know what I need to specifically say to a vet, or what evidence I need to provide them with to get interceptor? Why has interceptor been banned anyway?

Interceptor hasn't been banned, but its use does need to be controlled by a vet, just like any drug. It isn't safe for all species as well, like it can kill turtles and some collies are at risk for having a bad reaction to it

Back