live rock finally here.....

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
i just got my rock
can i put it right in the tank and start the cycle
there is nothing in the tank now but water and sand??????????

You can put it straight into the tank.However,it's not a bad idea to remove any dead or decaying matter and macro-algae.Even it looks perfectly clean,I still like to swish the rocks in a bucket of saltwater to remove debris before placing them in the display.

Put them in! Like others have said, submerging them in a bucket and spraying them with a powerhead or turkey baster will help dislodge dead and dying stuff. Lots of times live rock comes clogged with muddy gunk, try to get that off too, or else it will just end up in your tank.

ok i swished them around a little, i didnt get real crazy
wanted to get them in the tank
i figure i have at least a month to go before fish anyway

thanks for the info

im still having a lot of problems getting my sump and overflow to jive with each other

im going to have someone from my lfs come take a look at it

Is it a reef ready tank, or do you have a hang on backoverfow? What size is your pump? The most common problems with new tank installations with sumps is that they have pumps which are too large for their over flow(s). Most people having the problems are people who buy "reef ready" tanks. They typically have overf low bulkheads that are one inch diameter interior. They will only flow 350 to 400 gph not the 600 gph each as advertised by the manafacturer or as stated by the LFS's. If you have a single over flow then you need a pump rated at around 450 gph. If you have two over flows you need a pump rated at around 850 to 900 gph. A pump rated at 1200 gph is just to large. You would need to put a ball valve on its exit to cut down on the return flow back to the tank, or put in a "T" fitting and a valve and return part of the water back to the sump instead of to the tank.

fatman you are absolutely correct, you told me that before and i didnt listen hence i spent my entire weekend replumbing my sump

i had way to big of a pump, i had the flow cut back so much with a ball valve that i actually blew the pvc connections apart (they were not glued but still shouldnt have had that much pressure on them)

anyway i got a smaller pump rated at 600gph at 0 head height and it is working much better and is running wide open, im getting much smoother drainage from my overflow and im making up the difference with powerheads

oh and yes im going reef tank

Back