live rock. FYI im not really new to reefing

mcmusashi5

Octopus Wizard
well i just wanted to know if a tank done with its nitrogen cycle still needs 1 pound of live rock per gallon and if it needs any at all:helm2:

i don't subscribe to any "per gallon" rules.

put the amount of rock in there that looks good to you. LR is the best filtration, but don't think that if you don't have exactly 2.0 lbs per gallon of water (or 1.0) that everything will die.

i don't subscribe to any "per gallon" rules.

put the amount of rock in there that looks good to you. LR is the best filtration, but don't think that if you don't have exactly 2.0 lbs per gallon of water (or 1.0) that everything will die.
well im just gonna have to make a diy sump

Although I don't subscribe to the per gallon rule, I do believe the more LR the better. If your not comfortable with 2 lbs per gallon in your display tank then add the rest to your sump.

its not necessary tho

It helps on the oxygen issue. The tank surface, the skimmer, and the sump all help the gas exchange. The salinity in the salt water make the water harder to get oxygen than the fresh water. That's why sump is usually recommended.

well i just wanted to know if a tank done with its nitrogen cycle still needs 1 pound of live rock per gallon and if it needs any at all:helm2:

If it's done with the nitrogen cycle, be very careful on added not-so-fresh live rock though. They could cause another mini-cycle.

but can you put less

The porous in the live rock provide more space/surface for the nitrifying bacteria to live in. Hence, more the better. You can go without no live rock and just use whole bunch of porous man make material in the sump or any where to provide the same benefit. They just don't look as good. :)

Back