Live Rock in a new aquarium

candi_c

Reefing newb
I am filling up my 90 gallon tank with RO water and salt mix.I am going to buy LR from a friend mine.My question is, can I put the LR in my new aquarium or will It kill the LR.I'm a little confused.If you bought cured LR rock from the LFS you could just come home and put It into your new tank.because my water is new will It kill the LR?I' am going to spend two hundred dollars and I don't want to screw myself by killing the LR.Any answer would be greatly appreciated thanks..

That is exactly what you need to do. Put the new LR in the new tank to get the tank to cycle and get things going. You will have some die off, but it will not kill the whole rock. LR just means that there are beneficial organisms living in and on the rock.

Put as much as you want. You want to aim for around 1-2 pounds per gallon. You can save money and buy dry base rock and seed it with some LR. You can also put in the 80 pounds you are planning on then add it slowly.

If you add too much LR once your tank is cycled, you can actually cause it to cycle again from having too much die off from the new LR. So once your tank is cycled, add it a few pounds at a time until you get to what you want.

Okay,so add the 80 pounds of LR to my 90 gallon tank and do not add any more until tank is cycled.Once tank has cycled add small amounts so that I will not have to much die off.

As long as you haven't added any fish or corals yet you can add more live rock without worrying if it mini-cycles or not. You can also add cured live rock whenever.

I was gonna get dry rock from marco rocks for my tank. Should I follow the same thing with that rock? Only put in a little at a time seeing my tank is cycled? I don't want to hurt the fish I've already got.

Back