Live Rock Limit

ads8525

Reefing newb
Is there a limit to how much live rock can be added to a tank? I got a tank back in Nov 2009 and everything has been fine up until this morning, woke up with water everywhere. Well apparently the leak was at the front bottom of the tank where the seal is, couldn’t pinpoint exactly. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but I just added about 20 pounds of rock Saturday afternoon. So I broke everything apart and took it back to my local store for them to replace the tank. I have right at 145 pounds of live rock with 80 pounds of sand and I was curious if I had too much live rock and sand in the tank that it put too much pressure on the seals or something.

nope, the more the better imho.

Apparently I can't read, but I guess I kind of answered the question, but you do have tons of rock in that tank, however I'm pretty sure you could throw tons of rock in that thing and it still shouldn't break. I would do just what you did, take the tank back, have it replaced, and try again, my guess is the tank wasn't sitting properly on stand, or the glass wasn't supported somewhere. I think Dcan has it right though. Sounds like a bad tank.

Again, sorry for the terrible response with my quick skim read. I feel like an idiot now.

Last edited:
I also agree, you could easily put 200lbs of rock in that tank with no issues and still have room for fish. It was just a faulty seam, not your fault.

It's possible.I had a brand new tank that did the same thing.Mine was a manufacturers defect.The replacement tank has been going strong for over two years now.

Back