Live Rock Sources?

D_Ahumada

Reefing newb
I am setting up a 29 Gallon SW aquarium. My goal is eventually to have a reef set up, with corals. This is my first run at SW, and I am wondering where people would suggest getting LR from?

I know I need between 45-60 lbs in there.

I've heard two opinions on LR vs seeding base rock. So for the moment I am considering a 50-50 ratio, or maybe a bit heavier on the LR side than the base, and I'd really love to go with just LR. (increase the chance of hitchhikers hopefully) I know this is more expensive, and I'm still debating the decision.

I've got heater, protein skimmer and powerheads on their way, I'll be curing them in my tank since I don't have anything going yet.

That said, I'm really interested in people's opinions on online sources of LR. (Quality, shipping, cost, overall impressions) Craigslist isn't much of an option where I live, so I'll get that out of the way. And we don't really have a local club here. I'm in Fargo, ND so it's a bit of a trek to get anything here.

Thanks for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
while i would never think of telling someone to go with less LR, 60 sounds like a bit much in a 29 to me...

are you planning on running a sump or fuge or anything? if so, you can do what i did and use "ugly" rock in the sump... it still counts as pounds of LR in your system, but it'll open up some of the area in the tank so your fish have somewhere to swim...

and, if its a NEW setup, then any LR that you put in there is gonna end up cycling anyway, so in my mind, your 50-50 LR and BR idea sounds like a good idea... save a few bucks, and get the pounds you need..

something else that you might consider is to make your own, considering the difficulties that you described in finding things, if you can get some type 1 portland cement(i buy the 90 lb bags from homedepot) and a couple bags of the BLUE SOLAR SALT that they sell in the water filter area, you can mix up your own rock.. now, it takes time to "cure" before you can put it in a tank, cause you have to wait the 30 or so days that it takes for the hydration and chemical reactions to finish inside.. then you can put it in the tank just like any other BR....

thats what i did anyway, and it seems to work wonderfully, and only cost me about a $1 a LB to make... there is a thread on here about making your own if your interested... might save you a few bucks...

Last edited:
I've personally used live rock from Live Aquaria and Salty Critter.Both had great live rock at good prices.Many people here also use Tampa Bay live rock from Florida.They are more ecological and comes with more diverse life(good and bad).If you are wanting to mix dry rocks with live then the best I know of is Marco Rocks.Links provided below

Live Rock and Live Sand: Live Saltwater Aquarium Rock and Sand
Cured and Uncured live rock from Bali, Fiji, Tonga, & Uaniva.Saltwater aquarium supplies and equipment from Salty Critter
Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock
Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

i was looking at the marco rocks, particularly the 100lb dry keylargo box... whaddyall think? its gotta be better than filling my tank with local rock from the LFS thats covered in little grey starfish...

Last edited:
I was going to link to all 4 sites that Reeffreak provided :)

I've ordered my rock from Live Aquaria before (I ordered 500 lbs of it!) and was very happy with what I got.

i was looking at the marco rocks, particularly the 100lb dry keylargo box... whaddyall think? its gotta be better than filling my tank with local rock from the LFS thats covered in little grey starfish...

I just put 25 pounds of Key Largo rock from there in my 25 gallon tank. I like it a lot. There are a couple pictures on the New Rock thread on here.

Back