Live Rock with white powder, no ammonia levels

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by kimiko407, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kimiko407

kimiko407

Hi I'm really new to this so be patient please :)

So yesterday, I started a 5 gallon Fluval Chi tank with live sand and fully cured live rock from my LFS. I used Instant Ocean salt and mixed it with distilled water to a SG of 1.024. It got really cloudy once I put everything in the tank so I turned my filter on and waited for a few hours. Eventually it cleared up and I noticed my LR has a white covering of dust on it. I touched it to see if it was just from the sand but it doesn't come off so I assume this is just some natural die off? Anyways, I tested my water. PH- 8.2 Ammonia- 0 Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0. My water temperature is at 79 degrees. I also decided to put two small mangrove plant in the tray above the filter as well. Not sure if it'll do anything but it shouldn't be harmful I hope.

What should I do?
    Is my tank cycling or did I skip it by using live rock and live sand?
    If I have die off indicated by the white powder, shouldn't I have an ammonia spike that kick starts my cycle?

-Thank You.

kimiko407, Feb 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. kimiko407

AmberSunrise

Yeah its probably some die off from the move.

You could throw in a raw table shrimp like you buy at the grocery store and let it sit for a few days until the ammonia goes up then down.

You will probably have a quick cycle but you should still force one none the less to ensure its ready for fish.

AmberSunrise, Feb 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. kimiko407

kimiko407

Oh okay. I will put in a shrimp. When should I expect ammonia levels to spike?

kimiko407, Feb 12, 2013
  4. kimiko407

Neno reefs

I have the same question...

Neno reefs, Feb 12, 2013
  5. kimiko407

noy

Not sure if your white powder is die off - my experience is your rock turns dark/black and there is usually a smell associated with it.

You should notice Ammonia level rise within 2-3 days if not sooner. Test for nitrites too. If your ammonia and nitrates stay at 0 after 3 days - then you are good to add livestock. Invest in a Ammonia badge - but you still have to test for nitrates daily. Also, water conditioners (like prime) can throw off your ammonia readings. If you have nitrites - do a partial water change to get it down.

I actually have a 5 gallon Chi and it took me forever to get it cycled - and i started with water from an established tank (but dead/dry rock). I would have some pre-mixed dechlorinated water handy because its likely you will have to do quick water changes to stabilize your ammonia/nitrate level as you add livestock. I use a plastic garbage can (30 gallons - you can probably get someting smaller) for that purpose. Plus if you are running that filter which has the water drip from the sides - you will also have to have some de-chlorinated water (w/o salt) to replenish the evaporated water. I find that system evaporates quickly and you will have to top off with non-salted water to keep the salinity level.

Add fish 1 at a time otherwise the bump in bioload will put your system out of whack.

5 gallons is a tricky system to keep balanced and it will be a bit of work initially with testing water params and probably emergency water changes.

There are products like Microbacter7 which accelerate the cycling process by addiing bacteria - i am a big fan of that (and prefer dry rock because you never know what hitchhikers you are bringing in).

Good luck and have fun with it - might be frustrating at first.

noy, Feb 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements