live rock

you rock is not actually alive and will not crawl around your tank. what makes it alive is the bacteria that takes nitrites and turns them into nitrates. you may get a few critters that hitchhike into your tank on the rock. some will be good and others, not so good

-Doc

It's funny trying to explain to "other" people what live rock is. My buddies think it will actually grow in size, haha. and that coral will just start growing out of the live rock.

Only if they are already on the rock when you buy it. Which is likely. Hitch hikers like that are common on good quality live rock, although 99% of anemones that hitch hike on live rock are BAD and need to be removed/killed immediately.

is there anything i need to look for to choose a good quality rock???

Your want light porous live rock.I usually look for decent coralline coverage too.When choosing cured live rock,I do the sniff test.It should smell fresh and not like rotten eggs.

Look for colorful pieces. Sometimes you will be able to see little hitch hiking corals and stuff on them. The more porous the piece of rock, the more bang for your buck, as you pay by the weight. Look for rocks with interesting shapes, nooks and crannies.

also, the more porous the rocks, the better the bacteria will spread, making them more effective in their work of breaking down waste in your tanks, which is why smooth rock is useless in marine aquariums (live river rock and such).

I was just teasing about the rocks moving around, just my lame attempt at humor!!

-Doc

Back