live rock

bri74

Reefing newb
Hey guys I have about 100 lbs LR in my 55 and my critters are getting pretty big mainly the black longspine I am worried about room for these guys till I can get a bigger tank. I am curious can I get rid of some LR to make some room for these guys? I see alot of bigger tanks with way less LR and was wanting to get rid of 30-40 lbs the tank has been running for about a year now and things are going well. One more issue is that I have a seaclone skimmer and am worried that it wont keep up? O ya and 60 Lbs LS in there as well its almost 3 inches deep.

I have heard only bad things about the Seaclone skimmer. The amount of rock really depends on how the aquascaping looks. 100lbs may be a little much, I am sure 75 would look great. Show us a picture if you can.

I use to have a long spine and when i got rid or it it barely fit in a 5 gal bucket when i traded it to the lfs. the next one i had got turned upside down and the lights cooked it. they can get big. the body was almost the size of a tennis ball. and 75 pounds would not be that bad. it may give you better options on your aquascaping.

Keep in mind that you will be tacking out some of your bioligical filtration.So you'll have to remove it a piece at a time and give your tank time to adapt to the lose.

Like Yote said, remove the rock slowly. As long as your parameters are keeping in check, then the SeaClone is fine, however SeaClones cannot keep up with moderately to heavily stocked tanks or tanks that have animals that require pristine water conditions.

I just got done rearranging the rock made a ton of room will get some pics when the water clears back up

Are you sure thats 100lbs of rock? To me looks like around 60-70max. My tank has 80lbs and it looks like alot more rock then that. I dont know im probably wrong :grumble:

Are you sure thats 100lbs of rock? To me looks like around 60-70max. My tank has 80lbs and it looks like alot more rock then that. I dont know im probably wrong :grumble:

im with you on this one but that could be rock that is very dense. i only have 47lbs and mine looks to have about that much.

Great looking rock work.

Cravin,
I've had a copperband for about 3 months and he doesnt touch any of my corals.
Just keep in mind that they are alot like mandrines.They need mature tanks with a lot of rock and plenty of pods to feed on.Their not an easy fish to keep alive.

Ya at 8 bucks a pound Im pretty sure!! its very dense some of the big pieces are 8-12 LBS ea. I have all the smaller pieces hidden behind and in corners to make more room.

Back