live rock

lurch5656

Reefing newb
so i am tired of paying crazy money for live rock and have come to realize i live in south florida which at one time was all underwater and a massive coral reef!!! also i do landscaping for a living and i am wondering these massive pieces of rock i find at work all day everyday if cleaned up could they be put in my tank with no worries????

You can make your own rock (search for threads on that) but regular rock you just find laying around could leach metals and other junk into your tank. And it won't be live so it will take longer to populate and become live.

As long as its lime stone,I'd think it would be safe. Matter of fact,thats how TBSW gets their rock.They mine it from a quarry then haul it out in the ocean and dump it.

well i know its not lime stone bc here in south florida when u dig u hit solid coral quick!!!! piece i have been finding latel and collecting have shells all over them (Fossils)

well i know its not lime stone bc here in south florida when u dig u hit solid coral quick!!!! piece i have been finding latel and collecting have shells all over them (Fossils)

Thats all limestone is.:D
But I dont really think with it being so solid,that it'd be very good for your tank.

Thats all limestone is.:D
But I dont really think with it being so solid,that it'd be very good for your tank.

If I recall, there are actually two types of rock that form from coral skeletons. Unfortunatley, I cant remember their names, but I believe that one is limestone and then after thousands of years, the limestone is converted into something harder. I am going to have to look it up. I saw it on a History Channel show about the great lakes. This second forms the basin of the great lakes.

I remember see that on the salt.They were talking about what would happen if something happened and the lakes flooded the mine.

Back