Live rubble for my JBJ 28G Nano?

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hi Guys,

The JBJ 28 gallon nano comes with a filter basket that slides into the sump behind the main tank. The far left and right compartments house the power heads, and immediately adjacent, left and right is a compartment of a heater and protein skimmer. I will have a heater and skimmer when the time comes.

My question is...If I am doing live sand/ live rock (30 lb/50lb, respectively), do I need to set up the little filter compartment (sponge, charcoal, ceramic tubes- like ditilini!) or is the live rock/sand enough? Better still, if I have live rock left over, small enough, should I put that in the sump area where the filter basket goes?

The set up is a ways away ($$$), but I'm getting excited!

In my Red Sea I have a carbon media bag, and ceramic media bag in the pump area. In the intake area I have a pre-filter pad followed buy a filter sponge. I rinse the later two once a week. Some have put live rock there but I find it just too small.

Thanks all! Yes, the filter portion stays completely submerged, except the tippy top of the sponge. The area is approx. 3" x 5" x 12", I'm guessing. I've read that if using ample live rock 1-2 lbs/gallon, that the filter baskets in these nano tanks are not really necessary. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

I say yes that is true. Enough LR and you should be OK. I operated with just LR and a skimmer for 7 yrs. When I went to the 125 I have now I added a refuge. But yes if you have adequate LR in the main you dont need the filter part.

Back