Live sand addition

Ange

Reefing newb
I rearranged my tank and brought my sand forward so that I could place my rock on the bottom of my tank and build up from there. My question is, I like the depth of the sand in the front of my tank but there are still areas in the back where the sand level is very low. I feel like my rock will be even more stable if I build up the sand to the same level all around. Should I use live sand for this?

You can easily use "dead" or dry sand for that area. It will eventually become live on its own, seeded from your existing live sand

I haven't seen much "life" from my sand so far, and I have no idea how old it is. The guy I got the tank from wasn't doing much maintenance, so I didn't know if a bit more live sand would help or not. My sandsifting star didn't make it through the rock transition and I don't know why. I was very careful to be sure it was out of the way of the rock and that I didn't put anything down on it. I found the body when I move some of the sand back after setting the rock.

Also, what sort of cleaning crew do I need? I have two shrimp and two snails.

The millions of bacteria on the sand is what makes it live...and the starfish probably starved to death, they need lots of mature sand to survive...good thing you found him before he decayed. As far a cuc, get a few small hermits, some nassarius snails and a few turbo snails.

I haven't seen much "life" from my sand so far, and I have no idea how old it is. The guy I got the tank from wasn't doing much maintenance, so I didn't know if a bit more live sand would help or not.

Before I inherited my brother's tank, he had done no maintenance to his tank (it had been without any fish for a year -- he was simply topping it off -- WITH TAP). But low and behold, when I moved it to my house and filled it (twice -- mistakenly used tap -- noob mistake, and refilled w/ rodi), after a couple of weeks there were all sorts of worms, pods, and featherdusters still alive from the move. So you never know....maybe stuff survived, and they'll start reproducing and regenerating in no time.

I have seen a few things, more before I moved the rock around. I still see a few brittle star arms venturing out of the rock when I feed. I just hope I didn't kill anything off when I moved things around and cleaned the rock. I tried to be very careful with the sand not knowing what might have been growing. Things just don't seem as active as they did before.

I got a RO/DI unit with my tank but the faucette adapter doesn't fit ANY of the faucettes in my house. I am going to the hardware store to get what I need to make it work. We have a water filter on our tap water and so far it has tested well. I would still like to have the RO/DI working though.

I got a RO/DI unit with my tank but the faucette adapter doesn't fit ANY of the faucettes in my house. I am going to the hardware store to get what I need to make it work. We have a water filter on our tap water and so far it has tested well. I would still like to have the RO/DI working though.

I just got my RO/DI unit in today and what I thought was a facet adapter was actually an adapter that went under the sink in line with the cold water pipe. I thought I was going to get away with a 10 min setup but noooo 30 min of plumbing under the kitchen sink instead.

I looked mine up online and thought I might be able to do that as well. Couldn't get that to work either. The next thought was where the washing machine is, but that has to be changed with a screw driver and all of that every time. I figured out getting the adapter off the RO/DI, now I just need to take that and the faucette piece down to the hardware store. I WILL make it work.

Back