live sand/ crushed coral???

whitney

Reefing newb
I have live crushed coral in my tank.. I hear live sand is better.. I was thinking of taking some of my moms l.s and mixing it with my c.c is that a good/bad idea???

Water Changes??? Any tips???

crushed coral really is crap it holds crap in it that can lead to water problems. i only use olite sand or a smaller aragnite sand. your crushed coral is also considered live so it will be the same as what is in your moms tank but maybe a different kind of sand.

The only nice thing about crushed coral is that you can (and will have to!) vacuum it with a python or similar device to remove detrious. You can also have a massive ammount of flow and still have a substrate. That being said sand is the best IMO.

Sand is the better choice.But its not going to do you any good to add it with the crushed coral.
I already tryed when I first got into the hobby.The sand will just settle down into the CC and after a while will just look like crap.
Either leave the crushed coral and vacuum is often,or completely replace it with sand.

I am trying an experiment with my large tank. I now have sugar sized black sand which looked great for the first year. But in time it has become full of detritus and there is no effective way to clean it. Everyone will say don't stir it up - don't mess with it, etc.. which is true because you really can't and it will cause a small cycle if you do. This excess detritus really bugs me.

So now I am going to be using this stuff called Red Sea Success Reef Base. I switched over to this in my smaller tank some time ago and like it very much. I do believe a lot of people would too, if they weren't so hung up on the sugar sized sand. It is large enough to not be sucked up so allows for the occasional vacuuming yet it is small enough that food and crap doesn't just fall through it to the bottom. It seems to be the happy medium, at least for me. As an added bonus the water has been perfect since switching over. I am converting my larger tank in 2-3 weeks after the new substrate stuff cycles.

Time will tell, but I would recommend this product.

Back