Liverock Question

picardoflik

Reefing newb
So I have 12lbs of premium liverock and it held it's own during my first tank cycle. Ammonia is 0 same with nitrites and nitrates are 10ppm. Other than a diatom bloom, everything looks great. Still no fish, but I do have one tiger cowrie. I think the cycle is complete.

Now- I would like to add some more rock to fill the aquarium out a bit (30gals). Do I need to add more live rock or can I add dead rock to it. Will it eventually be colonized by beneficial bacteria?

That would be cheaper than adding more premium liverock.

What's your thoughts?

You can add dry rock. It will get seeded by the bacteria in your existing live rock. You are right -- this will save a lot of money.

Deff hey dry rock. Its cheaper and it so much easier to build things with it outside of the water bc you don't have to keep it wet.

Just be careful what you order for dry rock. Some dry rock comes really clean, but other comes with dead stuff on it and it may cause your tank to cycle again. I bought 25lbs of pukani from BRS which is super-clean, but also got 50lbs of dry fiji which has a lot of dead stuff all over it. I think marko rocks and reef saver dry rock from BRS are both pretty clean as well.

Back