long red hair

mdenny

Reefing newb
i have some long red hair algea in my tank i don't think it's red slime it is choking out some of my corals . i have treated it with red slime control with no results can anyone help thanks

thank u so much it's not that bad yet but if i do a 5 day blackout now maybe it will help then a massive water change o no wish me luck any other suggestions would be great i am 2 poor 2 replace anything in my tank

Yeah, I'd start with the blackout and water change. If that doesn't work, you can move on to the next step, which is trying to raise pH.

No, buffer stabilizes pH at a certain level. Usually people use kalkwasser (lime) to raise pH. I tried this when I had dinos earlier this year, and I accidentally crashed my tank and killed a bunch of stuff. I wouldn't advise using that method except as a last resort.

Also, take a look at what is causing the algae outbreak to begin with. It's usually an excess of nutrients in the water. I have also battled my own Dinoflagellate war. You really don't want it to take over your tank. Anything that eats algae in your tank could be at risk of ingesting dinos, which can slowly accumulate toxins and kill. If the area/rock in your tank can be safely removed, you can also try scrubbing the dinos off the rock with a toothbrush and a bucket of water. Keep us posted.

ok lights back on 4- 5 hours and no sign of dino but my frogspon is not out at all i am running carbon ph at 8.3 just an update

Back