Look at what the UPS guy dropped off today!

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I was only on the waiting list for 6 weeks, but look at what UPS left at my door this afternoon! I'm absolutely stoked

IMG_0130.jpg

Toolman I'm not sure what you're asking for. These will be replacing my current MH / T5 fixture. Had the second gen version of the AI LED's been available when I started my tank back in August of last year, I would of had them from the start.

I've been having some cyano issues and one of the suggestions I got was to change my bulbs (as they're OEM bulbs that came with the fixture and are likely out of spectrum). Instead of dropping $300 on a full set of new bulbs, I decided LED was the route I wanted to go.

I run a 180 reef, my build thread is here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/operation-nemo-northstar24s-180g-build-t28267.html

I plugged one of these into the wall and it boots up to 100% for the white and the blues - it is WICKED bright

The mounting rails were mis-routed by UPS and won't be here until Monday, I'll take some photos of the units turned on after work

Except LED's they are finding arent giving the corals the light spectrum they need, good luck.

This may be true for some of the copy cat Chinese made knock off fixtures that have flooded the market recently, but it is absolutely not true for the AI fixtures. There are many documented cases of AI's growing corals. The AI's also put out plenty of PAR, several people have melted corals because the PAR was so intense

WIth a mix of 40 and 70 degree optics, I should be able to cover my 180 with 3 modules. If i have coverage issues, its solved by adding another fixture, which is no big deal.

There is some ancedotal evidence that UV spectrum LED's would be of benefit, there is a really interesting thread about that over at RC - but that hasn't been proven to this point.

I'm not trying to start a war for or against LED's - I'm just very happy I finally have them in hand after waiting so long. I'll definitely add photos to by build thread

Back