looking for lense recomendation

project5k

Reef enthusiast
So i've got a digital rebel xt, and i'd really like to be able to take thoes super awesome macro shots i'm allways seeing posted online...

thing is, i dont have a macro lense, or even know what i should be looking for in one... i could really use some plain english assistance in figuring out what i want... i was looking on ebay, and i saw a couple, some were under $100 and were manual focus, well, for macro, for me, thats probably just fine... some of the other ones were over $500.. thats just not gonna happen right now...

so...

what do i need?

well, i was in the newspaper business for a while, as the photographer / darkroom guy, does that count?

:mrgreen:

Dennis is way better at gear than I am. If you are ONLY looking for a macro to shoot your tank, you might want to look into a little set of fixed-focal-point lenses. You can get a whole set of them for 10.00. They are limited but take nice shots once you get the hang of it. Project, post some links to the lenses you are looking at and I can tell you the differences......

Dennis will have some better suggestions for you, he's amazingly knowledgeable about this topic....

C

well, now if there is an answer for 10 bucks, then i wanna hear more for sure!!!

hehe, i was looking at a couple like this...
Canon EF 28-70mm 3.5-4.5 Mark II Lens w/Macro - eBay (item 300425428491 end time May-15-10 14:00:44 PDT)
or maybe something like this....
CANON EF 70-210mm F/4 MACRO fr EOS 50D Rebel T1i Xs etc - eBay (item 110529035478 end time May-15-10 12:25:48 PDT)

thing is, i wanna be able to take pictures from up close to the tank and i wanna be able to really zoom in on small details, like if i wanted to take pictures of circuit boards... that kinda tiny... the lenses i have for my camera right now are fine for bird watching, and pictures on family trips, but now i wanna get down to the details...

Last edited:
The big difference between myself and Dennis in regards to photography is that I was a high school photography teacher and he is a pro photographer. Dennis has access to and has used a wide variety of equipment and his knowledge about shooting awesome shots in a wide variety of sticky situations is unmatched. I can teach you how to compose a shot and to use a camera. My background is in fine art photography so my shots are often weird or wonky applications with a camera. He'a a better resource for you in this situation than I am but I can offer a bit of help for you.

A fixed focal length lens is a little lens you fit on the end of your regular lens. It has a fixed focal length, meaning, it has one "sweet" spot and you move your camera back and forth gently to find the proper focus. A set of lenses is extremely cheap and will give you good shots in your tank. The problem with fixed lenses is that you have to be incredibly patient and you will have to keep swapping lenses each time you want to shoot something in a different spot in your tank. If you want to shoot something that is moving, like a fish, it will be incredibly difficult. If you want to shoot corals, rocks, crabs, snails.... then you can get a good shot if you're patient. It is a bit cumbersome especially at first until you get the hand of using them. With practice, you'll get good, consistent shots. If you are ONLY shooting your tank and you're on a budget, I strongly recommend these lenses. You can also get extension tubes that fit between your camera and your lens to help your lens get closer focusing. If you can spend a few bucks then the macro lens is a really sweet way to go. They are versatile and allow you to get up close and personal with your subject matter. Personally, I hate auto-focus on my macro's and wouldn't ever spend extra money for that feature but Dennis might be able to tell you why you should get it. You want to buy a used lens from a reputable seller ONLY, there are a myriad of ways a lens can go bad and you need to do your homework, especially if you are buying sight unseen.

What lenses do you currently have?

The lenses you're looking at are regular zoom lenses that have macro capabilities. Both are discontinued. Neither are official "macro" lenses, they are everyday 'walk around" lenses that have macro capabilities. The second lens the 70-210 is listed in "fair" condition which would make me pass on it immediately. I've never used either of these and wouldn't feel comfortable giving you specific information about either of them. I don't think these are what you're looking for if you want a true macro lens. I like the Tamron macros with my canon.

Don't know if this helps?

Catherine

Here's something that might be an alternative? They come in sets which is what I think you want, this is just one lens:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-58mm-Professional-Macro-Canon/dp/B000GBCYF2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273439374&sr=8-8]Amazon.com: Opteka 10x 58mm HD² Professional Macro Lens for Canon EOS / EF: Electronics[/ame]

and this:

https://www.livingreefs.com/picasso-t23755.html

Good luck, Dennis will help more?

C

Last edited:
ahhhh, ok, i'm starting to get an idea... well.. the fixed would probably do what i want to do... i'm just not understanding all the in's and outs of how i use it..

now on the extension tube... that would that help? cause the 2 lenses i have now are the 35-80 that came with my old eos 35mm film camera, and then a 75-300ultrasonic...

that link there, the one that sais for picasso, thats the kinda pictures i wanna be able to take...

this is the set:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Close-Up-Macro-Filter/dp/B001AO2274/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_a]Amazon.com: Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (58mm): Camera & Photo[/ame]

they are little filters that screw on to your lens. They each have a different "sweet" spot so you'll switch back and forth between them depending on where your subject is. If you are only going to shoot your tank with them, it might be an affordable alternative to dropping a fortune on a lens.

good luck

I think you should wait and save for the lens you really want. Don't forget to look at the EF-S lenses if you are not planning on going full frame. This is a decent lens for macro Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens but is goes for around $400. Most of the cheaper/consumer lenses are going to be soft IMO. Buy a good lens once so you won't have to rebuy the same type of lens twice, cheaper in the long run.I have made that mistake, "this is good enough" only to out grow it in a few months. I look at it like the fish tank- patience.

wow, 15 bucks, ok, i'm in... now, lemme ask this question... which lense should i get them for? or maybe both just to play with.. heck... anyway.. here are the 2 lenses i have.. just for clarity... the 35-80 is a 52mm and the 75-300 is 58mm....

Attachments

• 35-80 lense.jpg
    35-80 lense.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 75-300 lense.jpg
    75-300 lense.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 234
so i ordered the following... heck for 10 bucks, its worth a shot, right?!?!?!?!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1VVVW/ref=ox_ya_os_product[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D0F4EG/ref=ox_ya_os_product[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D0F4EG/ref=ox_ya_os_product"][/ame]

They take a little fiddling with but I think you'll get some shots you'll like. Can't wait to see your pics!

C

Back