Looking to buy coral need advice

blazk

Reefing newb
I was looking around on some Australian Reefing Classifieds and came across A guy selling Heteractis crispa +1 Orange and 1 black ocellaris. The Heteractis is about 45cm.
Since i lost my maroon clown back about a year ago my mrs wanted one ever since.

Fish
The fish i have in the tank at the moment: Flame Angel, Tomato Clown, Orange Ocellaris, Valentini Puffer, Blue Tang(dori), Yellow Tang, Bicolour Wrasse.

Tank
Tank size is around 315L (Around 80 Gallons) inc the sump , Tank itself is 265L (70G) sump is 50L (13G).
Octopus NW-110 Skimmer
2 x Powerheads
Pics can be Found Here
Refrigium is nearly complete just got to add sand, LR

Lighting
The lighting i have is a Harizon 4ft 4 x T5 2 x 4ft 54W T5HO Pacific Blue Actinic tube 2 x 4ft 54W T5HO Artic White tube.

Questions
This would be my first coral, wise or not?
What do i need to know about keeping this coral alive?
Would my lights be sufficiant enough?
Would this be too many fish?
I have an RO System on route to me this week, should i wait till then before adding anything?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for reading.

Title Mistake: Was bought to my attention Heteractis crispa is not a coral...Sorry :)

Last edited:
first, you dont have a coral listed, the Heteractis crispa is an anemone, thats an invert. i dont think you have enough light for one. second i think your pushing your limits fish wise as is so i dont think adding anymore fish would be a good idea, let alone two more clowns when you already have 2

Wheres the coral? A Heteractis crispa is a sebea sea anemone...which you do have enough light(T5's) for...I would skip the clowns though since you already have an aggressive clown in your tank already.

I'd pass on the sebae and look for a quadricolor (bubble tip) or maybe a s. haddoni (carpet) (if you have room for one on the sand, those need a deep sand bed 6"+) if you really have to have an anemone. First thing to ask yourself is, is my tank mature enough, are my water parameters stable, and am I ready to do extra water changes? I also agree that you're pretty well stocked up on fish for the time being. You can always add stuff later, it's far tougher to remove fish and find homes for them. Just my opinion.

Sebaes are some of the most difficult anemones to keep (and yes, like others have said, an anemone is not a coral). It is very risky to introduce another type of clown into your tank, since you have 2 already (which is pretty much unheard of, so I'd say you're pretty damn lucky as it is!). I'd pass on this one. A deal that will work for your tank will come along in no time. Plus, if the sebae dies in your tank, you risk it killing everything else in the tank also.

Back