lost my last 2 fish...

Paste

I'm on a boat!
The last 2 fish I have added to my tank unfortunately haven't made it.
Added a lawnmower blenny, he died 2 days later... checked the parameters and
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2- 8.4

a couple weeks later added a Diamond Goby, 3 days later he died...
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2- 8.4

I noticed with the goby that he hid and didn't appear to eat... I tried spot feeding, but he just stayed under his rock... the 1st day he did dig around alot though.

Could this just be me somehow shocking the fish so that they aren't eating?
Only other fish in the tank are 2 ocillaris clowns (Very tiny) and a tiny chromis.

temp is always right around 76 (it does go up to around 77... and occasionally down to 75.8
all the fish I have gotten I drip acclimated... 1st 4 went in great (had 2 chromis but gave on away due to aggression) and have had no problems.

I dont want to keep sending poor little fishies to their watery graves... is there something I could be doing wrong? I am not sure its starvation, but I was watching for that with the goby and he didn't eat...

How are you acclimating? The best method is to drip acclimate them for 2-3 hours.

And where have you been buying your fish? Hopefully it's a reputable one. When you buy a fish from an LFS, always insist on seeing them feed the fish in front of you. There should be no reason for them to not put in a few pieces of mysis just so you can see them eat. If they refuse, I'd be wary of that lfs. If you bought them online, stick to reputable sellers, like liveaquaria.com.

Could also just be plain ole bad luck. Sucks to lose both after having done everything you're supposed to. Just part of the hobby unfortunately.

Are you finding bodies, or are they just disappearing? If you are finding bodies, what time of day, and do you watch them kind of go down hill, or do they seem fine and then you just find them dead?

My guess is either a predator or starvation (lawnmower blennies can easily starve to death in our tanks as well as the goby), but a few days seems awfully quick to starve - were they fat when you got them?

Also, are you buying them from an LFS, or getting them online? If you're getting them online, the drip acclimation may actually be too slow and expose them to ammonia from the bag they were shipped in...

I am dripping I will describe my process in just a second.
Both are from the same LFS that I got my other fish from.... and apeared healthy (very small and young though)

I have been taking them straight home and pouring them and the water they came from the LFS in into a clean container I have and putting a slow drip from my tank (tube with a know tied in it) in with them, after about 15 mins I take a cup of water out and pour it down the sink (its like a half cup total or so)
I do this for about 45 mins to an hour... haven't done 2-3 hours.

The Blenny my fiance found while I was at work and I would appear that it was being eaten by the cuc.... the Goby I noticed wasnt eating or coming out... then in the morning I saw him come out and ...kinda spazz... then go back in... watched him for about an hour as he would just lay on his side or back and gasp occasionally... then spaz.. finally nothing.. Wouldnt take any food.

Sadly, it happens sometimes. Did you see them eating at the LFS? That's the best sign of a healthy fish. I always make sure every fish I buy eat at the LFS. They don't eat, I don't buy. It's not 100% a sure thing, but it's a start. Maybe the LFS just doesn't have quality fish. You should complain about the 2 you bought so far.

I'd try tying two knots in your drip line - the drip acclimation should be quite slow - about 2-4 drops per second. Let the amount of water in the bucket double, dump half, then double the amount of water again through the drip line, then add them. I'd put all of the water from the bag into the bucket that you are acclimating them in, which should be a lot more than half a cup.

Also, getting tiny fish is pretty risky - they are likely just out of the larval phase and eating requirements are super high. I'd try getting larger ones next time and see if you have better luck with them!

I agree that it doesn't appear to be anything you are doing wrong. Your acclimation process (while not as long as some people's) seems sufficient. I also think Fishy is on to something with the size of the fish -- the smaller they are when you get them, the more delicate and difficult they are.

And sometimes, this sucks, but we just don't know why they die. You can do everything right and still lose a fish.

Back