Low Calcium

FishTales

Reefing newb
I have a very low readings on Calcium. Any advice on how to get this increased....fast? I have just been adding 1 tsp of calcium suppliment daily so far. I'm thinking maybe a few water changes might be my next plan of action.

If I am reading it right.....it's 20mg or below. Says if blue color forms after the 1st drop then it is 20 mg or below. It turns blue immediately.

The whole vial should be a dark blue color, not just a blue tint. But with only mushrooms in your tank, you don't even need to test for Cal.

I think my problems were coming from my water changes. I was topping the water off without saltmix because the salinity would get high during the evaporation process. The two reasons I am testing for calcium is to help combat the hair algae and to eventually get some hard corals.

Yes, you are right, you are not supposed to top off using saltwater. Top off using freshwater only.

If you are keeping up with water changes, then your calcium levels should be okay just from the salt. What brand salt are you using?

I'm sure you're misreading the test. We've all done it. The mushrooms or corals that you do have aren't using up the calcium, if you're keeping up with your water changes you're fine. Reef Crystals is what I use, it has calcium in it.

It's quite common (unfortunately) for test kits to be bad, too. If anyone ever has a result that just looks shocking, it's better to buy a new test kit to double check it. More often than not, the test kit is just bad.

Back