low PH ??

nufiefish

Newfiefish
I have recently became the proud owner of a 55gallon aquarium :bounce: I have kept freshwater planted tanks in the past very well i might add,but a total newbie to saltwater tanks.The question is how long should the tank be cycling before i worry about the Ph ?right now its been cycling for 2 days and the ph is around 7.8 i know that's too low but will it rise over time? or am i going to have to do something the raise it?

Ph can become low if carbonates get pulled out of the water by coralline algae and corals but in a new tank like yours water changes will keep Ph normal.

Ph can become low if carbonates get pulled out of the water by coralline algae and corals but in a new tank like yours water changes will keep Ph normal.

so i should do a water change all ready? shouldn't i let it cycle with the water i just put in it 2 days ago?

I wouldn't worry about even looking at pH until the tank is cycled. I would only start doing water change until you see the Ammonia and Nitrite finished their cycle. Probably in 2 weeks or so.

I wouldn't worry about even looking at pH until the tank is cycled. I would only start doing water change until you see the Ammonia and Nitrite finished their cycle. Probably in 2 weeks or so.

Thanks, that's what i thought just making sure:mrgreen:

As mentioned above dont even worry apout PH till your tank has cycled and you do a 40-50% PWC. Then you can worry about your PH. Right now just ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is all you have to worry about.

Cycling usually takes at least 2 to 3 weeks. So until then, hang tight. Since you don't have any animals in your tank (I presume), there's really no point in worrying about it now.

Yep, the live rock will help your cycle get going faster. Since most of your bacteria live on and in the rock, you need the rock in the tank to support their populations.

now would be the best time to add the live rock

the rock needs to be cured before any animals or inverts are added. adding rock after the tank is cycled and would just start another cycle. even cured rock will cycle if you add a lot at one time.

I use new "live" rock to do my cycle.

Most of the "live" rock you buy at the LFS isn't really fully cured, so it'll have enough organics and dead stuff on it to jump start your cycle. Best way to cycle a tank IMO.

Thanks everyone all you comments a great i have done my homework on this as with all my hobbies but you cant get the same info from books as years of experience from all you guys. If any of you guys need help with reptiles or tarantulas just let me know and ill try and help you out ; )

Back