Low SG in tank

richcoopey

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

I have had my tank up and running for just over a week now. I am buying RO saltwater direct from the local aquarium and i cant seem to get the SG above 101 at the highest.

Is there anything I can be doing?

I am not sure the filter is working properly on my Biube because the bubbles coming from the pipe are massive and there are a lot of small bubbles and solids in the water.

Any help or advice would be greatlt appreciated.

Cheers

Coops

Its a floating thermometer with an SG reader at the top. Before my last water change I had it tested at the aquarium and they said it was a little low then

I would recommend getting yourself a refractometer. Salinity is important to keep stable, and you need to have an accurate way to measure it.

Hi again,

i made up some new water for a 60% change and the RO water from the LFS was reading 10.015 on the hydrometer. I added some salt and got it up to 10.035 (to allow for the low salt 40% water remaining in the tank. I added this to the tank , let it settle and then took another reading. My SG is now reading 10.015 again. I have no idea what's going on!

Coops

I would be real hesitant to trust your hydrometer. Most LFS are going to be using a refractometer when making up saltwater. Are you buying premade saltwater at the store or just RO/DI water?

Check with the fish store how they are getting their salt reading. If they are using a refractometer I would trust them over your hydrometer. I have two hydrometers at home and the readings are way off from a refractometer. Once you know what the water is correct then you can take a reading with your hydrometer so that sets your base line. Then look at getting your own refractometer for in home use.

Back