LR hitch hikers

aquaamann

Water is elixir for life.
These are all LR hitch hikers. What kind of snail is this? (Top one) The coral is? the plants? also is the other photo the dreded aptasia? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 373
These are all LR hitch hikers. What kind of snail is this? (Top one) The coral is? the plants? also is the other photo the dreded aptasia? Thanks in advance.

the first is not aptasia it looks to be a glass nem

the thing by the plant looks like a limpet snail it is pretty much an ancient snail they eat Diatoms, Algae and Detritus on your tanks rock.

the plant is Halimeda "cactus aglae" and is fine for your tank

glass nems are aptasia, but I think that is a ball nem, which isn't a bad guy
hmm I thought the glass and ball were the same. then again I could and I probably am wrong. there are so many types to remember. any ways thanks for the correction Hannah.:bowdown:

Thanks, I just aquired this one piece of rock and it has alot of life on it. There is a couple of feather dusters on it too. Just wanted to make sure before i go get another.

Thanks, I just aquired this one piece of rock and it has alot of life on it. There is a couple of feather dusters on it too. Just wanted to make sure before i go get another.

Just remember each rock will hide its own mystery's of both good hitchers and bad hitchers. Unless you go all out and get some rock from a place like
(TBS) [ Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock ] you will more than likely get a bad hitcher of some sort.

TBS, from my recollection of other people's experiences here, comes with good and bad hitch hikers. I seem to remember Dennis pulling all kinds of gorilla crabs and pistol shrimp from his shipment.
Not that that's a bad thing, because all the good stuff makes up for it.

TBS, from my recollection of other people's experiences here, comes with good and bad hitch hikers. I seem to remember Dennis pulling all kinds of gorilla crabs and pistol shrimp from his shipment.
Not that that's a bad thing, because all the good stuff makes up for it.

Indeed and some folks have found cephalopods in there rock shipments. also the ship in water not just damn paper. The only place I know of that has "pest" free is this LFS here that takes dry rock and seeds it with pods and macro &other goodies. Other than that they have a Fiji rock tank that's at your own risk like every where else.

There safe rock is mad expensive though. its $13 per Lb. :grumble:

Back