LTA question

Starfyre1

Reefing newb
I removed a purple long tentacle anemone from our reef tank after discovering it was the culprit behind loss of over $600 fish over 6 months. I now have what looks like a viable tentacle attached to the rock the foot was under. Is it possible for a tentacle to survive after removing the anemone? I have attached a photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Wow, that was a vicious LTA.

I can't think of any way a lone tentacle could survive. It has to be just hung on the rock.

Snap a pic and post it if possible.

I removed a purple long tentacle anemone from our reef tank after discovering it was the culprit behind loss of over $600 fish over 6 months. I now have what looks like a viable tentacle attached to the rock the foot was under. Is it possible for a tentacle to survive after removing the anemone? I have attached a photo.
Wow, that was a vicious LTA.

I can't think of any way a lone tentacle could survive. It has to be just hung on the rock.

Snap a pic and post it if possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 362
Thanks, I will see if we can. I will have to have my husband do it as I was stung when I took it out and still have the wound 3 weeks later.

Hated to get rid of the anemone as it was gorgeous! It's last fish was a bicolor angel that was 3 inches long! The anemone was about 9 inches diameter when fully open and would raise up about 8 inches. Deep lavender in color. We were lucky, our fish store took it on consignment and sold it.

I have never had a LTA kill a fish. Sounds like you had a combination of an opportunistic anemone and some foolish fish that got too close. Sounds like it was a gorgeous specimen.

Back