lugol's

ANDREA

Reefing newb
it's me AGAIN........
how good is using lugol's solution in your tank>????
i see people is using luglo's solution for dipping coral's but other say is good to use it in the tank
i have a small bottle of it and if is good to use in the tank i better use before go bad

and is needed to check the iodine with a test kit having wather changes every week???
i am checking for ::::
calciunm
alkalinity
ph
magnesium
ammonia
phospate
salinity
nitrate
nitrite
what also is good the keep under control.....
thank to all the reply

:^: :bounce::^:

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
This is probably more info about iodine than you want or need to know, but here ya go.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm
"There is one important piece of advice that I can give now.
I would strongly advise people to not try to maintain 0.06 ppm iodine using supplementation and a test kit.
Why you ask? Isn’t that what we do for most other chemicals of interest? Well, if we could easily and accurately determine the concentrations of the different forms of iodine in aquaria, then I would recommend doing just that. However, if you combine the complexities of having multiple iodine species present with the uncertainty of having hobbyists use very complex test kits that may readily yield incorrect or difficult to interpret results, the stage is set for people driving their total iodine to levels far from what they actually intended. I do not know what levels of iodide or iodate become apparently problematic to real aquaria, but the risk of overdosing in this fashion is not insignificant. Both of the ICP studies reported above found some tanks with substantially elevated total iodine levels. I have no way of knowing how those levels got there, but overdosing of a supplement is one likely way.​

Thats a great article Capt.
I keep a bottle Lugols sitting on my shelf all the time.But there are only 2 things its used for.
#1 As a dip/soak for new frags before adding them to my tank.
#2 As an antiseptic for any corals that are damaged,to help fight infections.

Its never dosed into my tank.

Thats a great article Capt.
I keep a bottle Lugols sitting on my shelf all the time.But there are only 2 things its used for.
#1 As a dip/soak for new frags before adding them to my tank.
#2 As an antiseptic for any corals that are damaged,to help fight infections.

Its never dosed into my tank.

Same here. The only time I added Lugol's was after my tank crashed, and all my corals were dying. Yote had said they sometimes do that at his store, and that it may help the dying corals heal. It was worth a shot, since everything was dying already.

Back