Macro algae problem

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
This weekend I noticed my chaeto had gotten dark and is heavily coated with what looks like some sort of dark green algae. The chaeto is starting to die and fall apart. I tried to rinse and rub off the algae, but it doesn't want to come off. I have two 26W CFL floodlights on it.

Could it be too much light?

I have since scrapped the DSB to make more room for the chaeto. The chaeto was sitting in only 4 inches of water and now has 10 inches.

+1 Larry. The chaeto will need good flow to keep junk getting stuck and clogging it. Sometimes I have to flip my chaeto around to make sure it stays clean. Try cutting out the dead parts and seeing if it will come back.

This weekend I noticed my chaeto had gotten dark and is heavily coated with what looks like some sort of dark green algae. The chaeto is starting to die and fall apart. I tried to rinse and rub off the algae, but it doesn't want to come off. I have two 26W CFL floodlights on it.

Could it be too much light?

I have since scrapped the DSB to make more room for the chaeto. The chaeto was sitting in only 4 inches of water and now has 10 inches.

If your chaeto dies, I'll be happy to send you some "Biff's Chaeto", free of charge. I am confident that my product will perform in a superior manner to chaeto that falls apart and grows its own algae! ;)

Last edited:
I flipped my Biff's cheato earlier today. It's at least 4 times bigger than when I got it.

Love my Biff's Cheato!!!!

Psst. I want a kickback.

Oh and like they said. Flip around some. Make sure it gets good flow and cut the dead parts out. But everyones got ya covered there.

The flipping gets light to all sides of your cheato ball. Flow and light are crucial. My cheato only turns white (or black) if light is not getting to some part of the cheato ball

Thanks for the input everyone. If it doesn't turn the corner soon I'll have to order some of Biff's Super-Chaeto. I'm gonna try to get a picture of it in its haggard state and post it tonight so everyone can see the horror of chaeto abuse.

Last edited:
Ok its a goner. Its falling into little pieces and is pretty much black. Here is a shot of it on my table. Biff's Chaeto? :helm2:

Attachments

• chaeto 028.jpg
    chaeto 028.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 691
Biff's Chaeto!!

It's looking good. Got a little powerhead on it this time and a 27W 5500K day light CFL. Thanks for the help.

(Also a shot of my little buddy Rizzo)

Attachments

• chaeto 075.jpg
    chaeto 075.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 647
  • chaeto 071.jpg
    chaeto 071.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 971
  • chaeto 016.jpg
    chaeto 016.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 503
Oh my that is some fine lookin' chaeto!! I hope it works out well for you. Rizzo is like, "Damn, that algae is better looking than I am!!" ;)

Back