mag pumps

Mag drives can be very loud when you get into the 1800 gph and 2400 gph range, the smaller ones tend to be better, but if you are looking for quiet you may want to look into another pump. I'm pretty sure they are made for pond use, so they don't fit seamlessly into the aquarium hobby. They also produce a lot of heat and use a lot of power. How many gallons per hour were you looking to move and is this going to be a submersible pump or an external pump?

Well im looking at the mag1800. I would have to put a ball valve on it though and make it something like a 1200 or so. It is going to be submersed. The main reason I want to grab it is for the price, it is used but the guy cleaned it and is asking 65$.

Thats a good price for the pump and Mag drives are good reliable pumps. If the use is not in an area where you are going to need quiet than it should be a good pump. You can reduce the noise by using a mouse pad under the pump to reduce vibration which can be a problem with the big ones.

I use a Mag2400 in-line,it's very loud.I submerged the pump and it was very quiet,well much quieter than in-line.The 1800 should be quiet since your using it in water.It does vibrate so some kind of rubber feet will be needed if it's sitting on the bottom of the sump.

Well I picked it up this afternoon and in using it to mix some water right now and its not to bad. With some rubber pads on the bottom it should be great. I finally have a decent return now. :D

Now my skimmer pump is acting up, grr. Working ok for now though.

Back