Magnesium Levels In Check!

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Yesterday I finally bought a Mag test kit. They're a bit tricky to use, but I got it down. Tested my mag and it was at 1250. Is this a good level to be at? I never dose anything for mag and haven't done a water change in 4 days.

Dave, natural sea water has a level of 1300-1500. You really are not that far off. What test kit did you buy? I've used both the Sailfert, and the Red Sea. The Sailfert is by far more user friendly.

I had issues with it. It worked but I was not used to the math part of the test. The sailfert one is much easier to use in my opinion. But like I said, I used both, on the same water, on the same day and they both worked correctly.

I might pick up a sailfert test also if it's easier to use. I need to get a new alk test as well, but the terrible LFS near me don't carry any good ones. I'll have to order it I guess.

Not sure where you came up with that #, but it's not correct. The average mag levels in NSW around the reefs is 1280 ppm.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Dave, your OK at 1250, but I would maybe bump it up to 1275-1300 just because I'm not sure how accurate the Red Sea kit is. The recommended level is 1250-1350 ppm.

Thanks Larry. I'm going to Something Fishy this afternoon and will be buying a different kit. Probably a sailfert kit. What kit do you use?

The last 3 Salifert Mag kits I ordered were bad.But it was probably just my bad luck.
Now I use ELOS for mag. but nearly pull what hair I got left out everytime I test with it.:grumble:

I'm a little late on this thread but your Mag reading should be 3 Times what your Calcium is. I run about 460 Calcium in my Reef so my Mag consistantly remains at 1380. I will also add that testing ALL parameters should be done halfway through the Photo period with No dosing prior to testing. IMO.

Back