Mandarin Gobys

MissNano

Reefing newb
I am thinking of buying a mandarin Goby, i was wondering what everyone's input was on buying one? I already have copods breeding in my tank, i am going to set up a 10g to breed some more.

If you are talking about the 12 gallon I would say not IMO. You could not keep enough pods in both tanks to keep him fed. The Mandarin needs a 55 gallon tank with alot of LR for pod production. IMO.

The issue is not just the tank size -- it's the food availability. Most Mandarins eat ONLY live foods like pods. Tanks take a year to establish enough of a pod population to feed the mandarin. Some people will put them in after 6 months, and find that within a month of adding it, their pod population is gone, and they're mandarin dies of starvation.

If you insist on one, make sure it eats frozen mysis -- do NOT leave a store with one if you have not seen it eat frozen mysis. I would be wary of an lfs employee telling you that it eats frozen food without seeing it with your own eyes.

The other option is to buy bottles of live pods. But you'd have to really keep buying them.

I dont think I would try a mandrine in a 12 gallon even if it was eating frozen.Those little fish require so much food that it aint even funny and they'll fill in between feedings by eating the pods in the tank.
I just dont think it'll even if it is till the new tank is ready.

I dont think I would try a mandrine in a 12 gallon even if it was eating frozen.Those little fish require so much food that it aint even funny and they'll fill in between feedings by eating the pods in the tank.
I just dont think it'll even if it is till the new tank is ready.

1+ Way too small

+2, i wouldn't add one in a 12. the only reason i had mine in my 20 was because he was eating frozen and flake, thats not something thats easy to find in a mandrin... they still need that live food too... the 55 although its size is good is not gonna help much. you need a huge population... I'm not getting another mandrin for at least a year for my 75

Back