mangrove plant?

Brian_G

overly obsessed
what if i planted a mangrove plant in my overflow? i feel this would reduce phosphates and nitrates in my water as well as look kinda cool.

the only problem i see is keeping the roots out of the pipework

Why not get one of those little corner frag racks with suction cups and stick it up high in the corner? Maybe put a little clay pot up there with some sand or rocks? I don't know squat about them - but you can figure out how to plant it.

I was just thinking the corner frag rack might work to keep the plant in the tank and get the benefits without risking roots in the drain. I got a bad feeling that pouring Liquid Plumber down the drain in 6 months is gonna be BAD for the tank. ;-) :Cheers:

haha yeah i dont think liquid plumber would be good.

i dont think they require any substrate to grow in. i think they just grow in water. thats why i was thinking in the dt would be a a not so good idea because the roots would go everywhere.

I could put them in the fuge,,,but then I cant see them!

well, you can always trim the roots if they go where you don't want. Think of it like topiary but for the roots instead of the leaves. :)

I finally tossed mine.
They grow too slow to do anything about nitrates or phosphates, unless you have a big bushel of them.
More trouble than they are worth, imho.
Now that they are gone there is more room for chaeto to grow.

well i think them look cool but i dont think i have time for one. wiping the leaves off every day and stuff.

yeah...i dont think its worth it. Im with you D2

Back