mantis photos

Ive never given much thought about mantis until I saw those videos..... I have a 24 nano thats been done cycling for a month now and its just waiting for me to drop something in it..... I was going to do a dwarf octopus but decided im going to set up a bigger tank and put a bigger species octo in it. From the vids and pictures I saw my nano is more than adaquate to house a mantis. I just want a critter that KILLS! My GF wont even watch that video Matt posted of the shark vs. octopus, let alone watching a mantis eat, so that means I would have to post them on LR so someone else could get a kick out of them.

Thats a perfect set up for a mantis. I would suspect your girlfriend will end up enjoying it just as much given some time. Mantis don't tear apart their prey, a puffer is more aggressive towards its food then the mantis. My "Mr. Nice Guy" will run out of his cave snap the crab and take back into his cave, he will bury some parts for later and eat some right away, but it is hard to actualy see him eating.

Octopus are also wonderful animals, Look for a tank raised species, seens how they only live about 1 -2 years at most. Also be sure your tank is completley sealed with heavy lids and overflows etc. with screens. They are escape artists, and very very intelligent. My last octopus "Otis" would pull a cork out of a bottle reach in and grab his shrimp and then recork the bottle:) He loved to play with legos as well and would sleep with his green lego. I can't wait until I can get another one.

winy, by the looks of things you have some pretty sweet aquariums going on. when can we expect some pics. i would sure like to see some

Hey guys, I'm new to this Forum, just joined today actually.................I saw this post, if you guys have a Mantis shrimp that you catch, please don't kill them, I do keep them, if it's possible I'd like to have them, I know it's hard to resist the pleasure in killing him after he has costed you $200 worth of live stock, but think of it this way, He didn't mean to, it's his nature and what he was born to do................can't feed a Lion Vegetables, he will have you for dinner.

Anyway, if you have a problem with one, you can send him to me, I'd like to have him.

Back