Marine ich and the TRUTH.

I strongly believe that frozen fish foods can be a source of ich. The ability of parasites to reanimate after freezing is well known. This is why health codes require sushi to be frozen at -6F for 72 hours in order to kill all parasites and make it safe for human consumption. One company was selling gamma-irradiated fish food.

Wednesday night my sailfin "Sally" had about a dozen spots on its fins and tail. It was starting to act irritated. I picked up the selcon vitamins and Kent Marine Garlic Extreme additives and started soaking their frozen foods. Today the spots are nearly gone. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Irradiated foods would be my preference, little to no nutritional value effects, prolongs shelf life without freezing, etc etc the list goes on and on.

I have learned that the BEST WAY to TREAT ICH....

Is to raise temperature to about 90 Degrees and essentially speeding up the ICH cycle you can rid your tank of ICH in about 7 days. Add COPPER as outlined on the directions along with raising the temperature will do it everytime.

Awsumfish

Why would you have a Reef tank and NOT have somewhere to put fish and corals when they have issues...

I was under the impression that was an unwritten law...Otherwise your screwed and FISH will die.

Note to self: write book on REEF for DUMMIES. LOL.

The folks without QT tanks reduce thier odds of surviving ICH greatly, as somone with your expertise would know. I haven't seen ICH in at least 4 years so I guess I'm not much help on this topic.

Good luck Fellow reefers and you too dcantucson.

Some people just dont have the room to have a QT set up. Like me. Also, ich tends to show up when the fish are stressed. So keep the waterquality good, tank stocked properly, the fish will have a better chance of surviving ICH on their own. Granted, ich will still be in the tank, but it wont be as detrimental.

I've never had a quarantine tank, and I've never quarantined new fish. Sorry, it's not a universal law of reefing. :D Lots of people do, but lots of people don't.

Its now been five days since Ich showed up on my Tang. The spots are completely gone now and the fish looks very healthy. Thank you to those who have posted their non-QT stategies as that is what I followed and so far it seems to have paid off.

just keep an eye on it. Ich has a life cycle.

Egg-Free swimming-Spots on fish-Egg

So even if he ich clears, it has just dropped off the fish and is in either its egg state or the free swimming state. It can come back over night. So keep the stress of the fish down and their immune system has a better chance of fighting it off.

I've never had a quarantine tank, and I've never quarantined new fish. Sorry, it's not a universal law of reefing. :D Lots of people do, but lots of people don't.
It may not be a law,but i think its out of the norm not to QT..Maybe not on this forum though:mrgreen:......its just that there are alot of ich threads and i think alot of them could be avoided if they QTed.Out of the few on here who do not and have never had a serious issue with it ,there are probably 3x as many who are having issues.....not everyone is as experienced or perhaps lucky as everyone else...Ich doesn't have to be a death sentence for our fish ,i agree with that,but it also doesn't even have to be in our tanks..:Cheers:

Last edited:
+1 nemo

I have stated before that the reason I dont QT is lack of room. I live in a condo and dont have the room for a separate tank. However, when I do move to a house, and upgrade my 29 gallon to a larger tank, the 29 gallon will turn into a QT

+1 nemo

I have stated before that the reason I dont QT is lack of room. I live in a condo and dont have the room for a separate tank. However, when I do move to a house, and upgrade my 29 gallon to a larger tank, the 29 gallon will turn into a QT
I understand not having the room,..heres mine behind the couch..glad to hear you do plan on using one

Attachments

• DSCN1462QT.jpg
    DSCN1462QT.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 731
I would rather have quarantined. But for me at this point it would be costly and probably put my fish in an unnecesary risk. It has been in my tank for a long time and I would now need to pull many fish out and QT them all. I would have to tear the tank apart trying to catch them all. My tank and its maintenance operations are already imposing and oversized at best. I only have room for a small QT tank for injured or new incoming fish.

I admit that my plan was to have one as well. When I got my Zero Edge, I planned on using my Red Sea Max as a QT. I had total disaster in the beginning with ich. Lost almost every fish, etc. because I never really utilized the QT properly. If I had I would not have had the problems I did.

Back