Marine ich?

nanoreefs

Reefing newb
Hey guys I'm just wondering on something. if a fish gets stressed out while being transported and acclimated to a new tank, then gets ich becuase of being stressed out, can the ich eventually go away or will it over time kill the fish? :frustrat:

im pretty sure it will kill the fish unless u take it out of your tank and put it in a hospital tank and treat it with medication.
but now that its already in your tank with ich, ur whole tank will have ich. so all your other fish will get it too. they might not show it right away, but they got it. thats why u should always quarantine new arrivals.

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

If the fish shows signs of ich and you don't treat it w/ copper or hypo, it will always have ich. The fish can beat it if it's eating. But it will always have ich (at times of stress, you'll see the white specks appear and disappear). Also, once you introduce an ich-infected fish (even if they don't show signs), you've already infected the tank. Unless you treat ALL the fish and leave the tank fallow for a few months, your tank will always have ich.

But again, all is not lost. IF the fish is eating, he can fight it off on its own. Most of us don't qt our fish, so we probably do have ich in our tanks. They just don't show up because we make sure the water parameters are in check and their environment is stress-free.

One of my fish get Ick, they better be able to fight it off. I'm not ripping a reef tank apart just to stress a fish that's already stressed. So as long as it's eating, leave it be. If it stops eating and gets weak enough that it's easy to net, then I'll move it into a hospital tank ( where it'll probably die ) unless it makes a recovery, which most don't.

Back