Marine life lighting

Huh? There was nothing emotional in that article. It consisted of graphs of light spectrums. No one appears to be getting hurt except for you, Mr. Sensitive, and you started the thread. Sorry your "fewings" are so hurt.

Actually,,I'm kinda wondering what kind of plants Lecter is keeping in a saltwater tank,given my recent fur-ray into planted tanks.

Hair algae maybe? Bryopsis perhaps?

Lets put this is terms that just about anybody can understand.
Given the depths from which corals grow on most reefs in the wild,and the refraction from the salt and minerals in the water,the red and green spectrum gets filtered out within the first few feet of water.In other words,the deeper you go the less reds and greens you see. Down below 30 feet or so,only the blue spectrum can penetrate. Thats why everything looks blue.That is why corals have adapted to utilize the blue color spectrum. Plants and algae use the reds and greens.That's why just about any bulb or fixture will work for plants including cheap shop lights with NO bulbs.

And yeah,I just made all that up right off the top of my head. But it's probably as close to accurate as the assumption that the cheap LED flood light at Lowes will grow corals.

Lol, it's all good. Actually Sarah gave me a heads up on this anyway. It was coming down the pipe at some point, by someone.

Last edited:
I'm all for healthy discussion, and I definitely understand some people preferring to use halides or T5's... but that guy was just silly

you moron, learn to read.

You know what I tell my kids about calling people names? People who have nothing more intelligent to say are the ones who resort to it :mrgreen:

Or I could take a page out of Pee Wee Herman's book and say "I know you are, but what am I?"

*sigh* They never learn :) Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Back