Maroon Clownfish

mplocar

Reefing newb
My wife really has her heart set on getting a maroon clownfish. I have read that they are the most aggresive of all the clowns but is that towards all fish or just other clowns? Does anyone have one of these or can anyone give me some advice or words of wisdom about them.

most are not a bad as they say they are i have one in my reef myself for 3 years now and with out a host and he doesn't bother a thing how ever if a fish comes into his
sleeping area he will show them who is boss mainly just flipping his rear tail at them other than that never has been bad or nipped things but i would suggests if two are what you want
put them in together has pairs they are great fish and have a great personality hope this helps good luck .......:Cheers:

They are the largest of the clownfish and one of prettiest clowns that haven't been genetically altered.IME,the gold stripe is less aggressive than the white stripe,slightly.They protect their territory but are not overly aggressive to other fish except to other clowns.Buy only one.they don't pair up easily and can kill one another.They do sell mated pairs from time to time.

I agree with Freak, unless you are willing to risk fighting and death, buy one, or buy a pair that has already been established in the store or in someone else's tank.

Any and all clowns are considered somewhat aggressive, but all individual fish are unique. Tomato clowns are considered some of the most aggressive clowns too, and I have a pair of tomato clowns that are like the fuzzy puppies of my tank.

A clown will not only be aggressive towards its own kind, but towards other fish too. You may have to decide what other fish you want in the tank based on the aggression level of the clown.

Well we have a 55 gallon tank, so far we plan to have

the clown
a few chromis
a lawnmower blenny
a cleaner shrimp or two
snails
dwarf hermits
maybe another fish or two to be deterimned at a later date.
MAYBE MAYbe a emerald crab

Then eventually as the tank matures and we get more accostomed to saltwater we would like to begin to add a few select corals.

But for now with what we have for equiptment, we figured the above would be at the max of our ability to maintain with success. Slow and steady, Just want a little life in the tank.

Sorry, I dont know why it didnt finish the post anyway...

I think the clown should have plenty of room to call its own, we hadnt planed on a pair of them and as far as I can tell the other planned occupants should be able to get along and lots of room to play.

I think we are hoping to luck into a good tempered clown it will be the most agressive of any of the fish we have planned to get.

Like I have said we are new to the saltwater but we read and reserch and have no fear of asking a question when in doubt.

Anyone have any reason not to think the planned occupants would not be a decent mix?

That list looks great. I have a pair of clowns, a small school of chromis (5) and a lawnmower blenny in my 240, but they used to all be in my 55 gallon tank. All got along fine. That combination will most likely be great.

Back