ME AGAIN urgggghhh !!!

Lesely

Reefing newb
So, did my water change, tested all parameters and started dosing according to those readings. I def understand the dosing numbers after all your great help I received earlier in the week.
I still have lots to learn and decided to take some water lfs to double check the parameters that I had already double checked.
MY READINGS MAG 1200 ALK 8.9 CAL 420 Phos .03 NITRATE 0.08 (phos hanna checker sailfert all others)

LFS MAG 1200 ALK 9.3 CAL 440 PHOS 2 NITRATE 7 (Phos test kit unkown, salifert all others)

Concerned about the phos and nitrate readings I called into another LFS that also test water and use all RED SEA test kits and results are .

LFS 2 MAG 1400 ALK 9.8 CAL 425 PHOS 0.07 NITRATE 0.05

What the hell do I do with those numbers ?? Do I just trust and use mine and forget LFS tests. One of them told me I had to go home and do a 250lt water change or I would loose all my corals !!

Everything looks well and fine tested again when got home and had similar readings to the original ones I did in the morning.
What do I do ! Do I do another water change or was he trying to sell me more salt.
photo (7).JPG

Thanks ( i should just sign off with the name nuisance)

If everything looks happy I would just leave it alone. Keeping it constant is the most important thing. Too many changes too fast will be worse for your corals.

I agree. Trying to reach these on paper numbers is going to drive you insane. Don't let anything get to out of whack but it doesn't have to be exactly right on the number either. If your corals are fat and happy, your fish and inverts are fat and happy and you have no nuisance algae I would say you are doing just fine.

Ahhh the joy of test kits. I admit i have gotten lazy, If things in my tank look pissed I do a wc and if they still look mad then I test. I dont dose anything though

I would say you're right on the money. Like they said, if all looks to be well, then it probably is. If I had to guess your numbers, I would say:

Mag ~1200
Alk ~9.0-9.1
Calc ~420
Phos ~0.04-0.05
NO3 ~0.05-0.06

You can guess that if 2/3 were really close then that's about what it is.

You need to learn how to do the eye and gut test, this will come with time. If you're getting algae growth, time for intervention. If the corals aren't looking happy, time for intervention. I test on a weekly basis and adjust accordingly. Once you see what your system is using, then all you will have to do is add back into the water what they're using. What people fail to remember is the nitrogen cycle is an acidifying cycle and will deplete your buffers in short order. That's a BIGGIE when it comes to reef tanks. People used to laugh at me in the 80's for adding sodium bicarb to my makeup water, fast forward to today and everyone's doing it, imagine that. I've always been a proponent of if it's doing good, leave it the hell alone!

You need to learn how to do the eye and gut test, this will come with time. If you're getting algae growth, time for intervention. If the corals aren't looking happy, time for intervention. I test on a weekly basis and adjust accordingly. Once you see what your system is using, then all you will have to do is add back into the water what they're using. What people fail to remember is the nitrogen cycle is an acidifying cycle and will deplete your buffers in short order. That's a BIGGIE when it comes to reef tanks. People used to laugh at me in the 80's for adding sodium bicarb to my makeup water, fast forward to today and everyone's doing it, imagine that. I've always been a proponent of if it's doing good, leave it the hell alone!
I have heard people talk of the gut instinct before. I suppose this will come with time and experience. This is our first tank and I am worrying, you hear so many horror stories. Maybe we shouldn't have bought such a large system first off and started with something smaller. I love the tank and learning new things, i should stop worrying and enjoy it more. I will just use my tests from now on and not listen to the local LFS quite so much. lol
Thanks
P.S we have no algae problems at all so I was suspicious of the nitrate phos readings, I suppose that was gut instinct. We would have a lot if the readings at the first shop were that high. correct ?

So, did my water change, tested all parameters and started dosing according to those readings. I def understand the dosing numbers after all your great help I received earlier in the week.
I still have lots to learn and decided to take some water lfs to double check the parameters that I had already double checked.
MY READINGS MAG 1200 ALK 8.9 CAL 420 Phos .03 NITRATE 0.08 (phos hanna checker sailfert all others)

LFS MAG 1200 ALK 9.3 CAL 440 PHOS 2 NITRATE 7 (Phos test kit unkown, salifert all others)

Concerned about the phos and nitrate readings I called into another LFS that also test water and use all RED SEA test kits and results are .

LFS 2 MAG 1400 ALK 9.8 CAL 425 PHOS 0.07 NITRATE 0.05

What the hell do I do with those numbers ?? Do I just trust and use mine and forget LFS tests. One of them told me I had to go home and do a 250lt water change or I would loose all my corals !!

Everything looks well and fine tested again when got home and had similar readings to the original ones I did in the morning.
What do I do ! Do I do another water change or was he trying to sell me more salt. View attachment 22371
Thanks ( i should just sign off with the name nuisance)
Remember you have invested in alot of equipment and livestock and have a beautiful tank and its natural to want it to stay beautiful without problems.you aint a nuisance :)

Lesley, it will all come with time. a larger system is MORE stable than a small tank. I cringe when I see new to saltwater people get a small tank. The swings in them can be devastating in a very short period of time. With a larger volume of water you have a buffer before things become terminal in most cases. There are exception to every rule. Take your time, read and learn. When I started out, all I had was a few books, I think at that time there were 3-4 books available about reef keeping and advice from a guy up in Adamstown, Pa and he never steered me wrong. A LOT of stores are driven by that nasty thing called greed, thankfully Dennis wasn't one of those people. The main thing is to take it slow and easy. It's very easy to go to the store and throw a gajillion fish and corals in the tank, a sure recipe for disaster.

As for their test and yours being different, there could have been a contaminate in your tube or theirs. Keep an eye on things and post pics, it's one hell of a lot easier for us to help with a picture.

Some things that are indispensable are RO water, testing equipment, water movement and good lighting. Without those building blocks you have a fish tank, NOT a reef tank.

Now I have a new 130D to attend to so I'll bid you a good night.

Lesley, it will all come with time. a larger system is MORE stable than a small tank. I cringe when I see new to saltwater people get a small tank. The swings in them can be devastating in a very short period of time. With a larger volume of water you have a buffer before things become terminal in most cases. There are exception to every rule. Take your time, read and learn. When I started out, all I had was a few books, I think at that time there were 3-4 books available about reef keeping and advice from a guy up in Adamstown, Pa and he never steered me wrong. A LOT of stores are driven by that nasty thing called greed, thankfully Dennis wasn't one of those people. The main thing is to take it slow and easy. It's very easy to go to the store and throw a gajillion fish and corals in the tank, a sure recipe for disaster.

As for their test and yours being different, there could have been a contaminate in your tube or theirs. Keep an eye on things and post pics, it's one hell of a lot easier for us to help with a picture.

Some things that are indispensable are RO water, testing equipment, water movement and good lighting. Without those building blocks you have a fish tank, NOT a reef tank.

Now I have a new 130D to attend to so I'll bid you a good night.
i have been an exception to the rule up to now.have a 10 gallon tank thats all but after 3 years with no skimmer and just water changes weekly it has pretty much ran itself but agree if water quality went down it would be quick

i have been an exception to the rule up to now.have a 10 gallon tank thats all but after 3 years with no skimmer and just water changes weekly it has pretty much ran itself but agree if water quality went down it would be quick
At least with a 30 gallon water changes are quite simple and you can afford to do them weekly ! Every water change we do is at least 250 liter and takes quite a bit if time but in saying that we really get so much enjoyment it's all worth it !!

thats what i do 265 gal tank, i change about 30 gal every 2 wks or so. its easier to do smaller changes more often and the tank stays more stable

Yep. Less of a change is less of a shock. I guess if it works, then its fine, but small changes are easier and they keep levels better (you may end up dosing less). I do 4-5 gallons every Saturday on my 40.

At least with a 30 gallon water changes are quite simple and you can afford to do them weekly ! Every water change we do is at least 250 liter and takes quite a bit if time but in saying that we really get so much enjoyment it's all worth it !!
lol def couldnt afford to run a tank your size or do a waterchange on the pittance i get in my pay packet.hence 10 gal tank!:D

Back