Mechanical filter to refugium

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys I'm converting my mechanical filter to a refugium It is just a 2 chamber box with a lid in one section for the hose from tank to filter. I'm just going to toss some chaeto and a light down there. Here's where I need the help. The lid has the hose attached to it and I need to take off the lid an replace it with egg crate for the light for the chaeto.i was thinking I would just cut the egg crate to fit the hose but I don't know what I should use to attach the hose to the egg crate. Any suggestions?

Actually i think what im going to do is replace my hob Protein skimmer with one i could put in the mehanical filter. these are pics of the filter. What im thinking is ill plump the intake thats in the lid into the top side of the larger portion. This is where i would put the protein skimmer. and the smaller section with the return pump would get the chaeto. Will this work well? or at least better than the fluvial filter? lol
The dimensions are 14 inches deep by 8 inches wide. as far as the length does the large section is 16 inches long and the return pump section is 7 and a 1/2 inches long.
Anyone see a problem with this scenario or can think of a better idea for my filter?
IMG_0252.jpg

I was also wondering considering how clear it seems if i can just shine the light on the side of the filter until i get it plumed or will that not be enough lighting getting through the side?

I may just keep the lid for now and cut a "Window" out of it. it may be a while before i get my new skimmer. I am either having trouble dialing in my current one or it just sucks.

I would turn the large section info a fuge. I would also just hand one of the CFL bulb with a can reflector over that section and call it good.

Ok, so i have the chaeto sitting on the eggcracte in filter, but its not realling doing much in the way of passing all the water. Plus i now have a concern. Is it ok that little strands of chaeto are getting in to my dt? i have only had it in there about an hour and already little strands have made their way to my dt. If this is not ok how should i contain them? Also, like i stated earlier my chaeto is just chillin on some eggcrate. Dont i want more efficency in water passing through it better?
I have two ideas. One is i have a filter tray at the top that water hits and flows through. water stays in there pretty consistently but how wet does the chaeto need to be? I could let the chaeto grow to the size of the tray then start trimming it right? Or do you think it will dot get enough light in the tray? the light would have to come straight from the top and i would have to clean off all the salt creep that seems to build up on it. lol.

The second idea is i could throw the chaeto in a filter sock and then put it in a spot at the bottom where a sponge filter is meant to pass all water through on its way to the return pump. Following is the pic of the sponge. it is REAL easy to see. look for a tan sponge running the length of the two sections at the bottom of the divide. Instead of the sponge, i was thinking i could put a filter sock containing chaeto.
I was also wondering how often i should be running my light for my chaeto? My DT light is on a 6pm to midnight timer. Should i be running the light for my chaeto 24/7, the same, or the opposite?

IMG_0265.jpg

Last edited:
Whats considered too big? Or is that personal preference? I wouldn't mind it growing big enough to take up thebwhole bit of water in that section. Then cut it in 1/2. And sell that 1/2 on eBay. Hahaha

Back